• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you want to emigrate to Australia?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you want to emigrate to Australia?

Simple. Retrain at college as a plumber, earn mega bucks and never be out of work for a single day in your life. Honest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6951188.stm

If there's a shortage of plumbers, everyone knows about it, without having to read the papers.

The bathroom leak can't be fixed for weeks because they're all busy.

That was the situation in the UK a couple of years ago, but the gap has now been filled by newly-trained apprentices and qualified workers from abroad.

Plumbers can be seen as a bellweather for economic health During a housing boom, they are in demand, but now Australia wants ours. Plumbers are one of the professions on its wanted list as it raises its annual target figure for skilled workers coming into the country.

Forget all this pointless IT rubbish, that's going to India. Plumbing, that's the future.

immigration is a funny thing isn't it, in Australia for example...

'its annual target figure for skilled workers coming into the country'

in the UK we seem to simply have an annual target for migrants coming into the country

funny old world

Milan.

Comment

Part of the problem in Aus is that you're not allowed to do you own plumbing so have to use a registered tradesman....similar to our electrical/gas situation.

All of which leads to demand
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

no thanks.. i think we should resurrect the tazmanians and aboriginies and give it back.

Comment

I remember seeing that on a TV programme.

A tradesman (I think plumber) moved his family to Aus and had to attend a training course and pass a series of practical and written exams before he was issued a permit to work there. Took a few months and they weren't allowed to sign on. Had to bring a large sum of cash into the country too.

How different to the UK eh?

Still, we know best.

Comment

Originally posted by barry_abs View Post
            no thanks.. i think we should resurrect the tazmanians and aboriginies and give it back.
            What would they do with it? If you cannot defend your land should you expect to keep it?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              What would they do with it? If you cannot defend your land should you expect to keep it?
              With that mentality we could probably roll over a large percentage of the world and restart the British Empire.........

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Please PM me your address.

I'll drop by with some heavies to appropriate your land.

Well, it's only fair, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                  With that mentality we could probably roll over a large percentage of the world and restart the British Empire.........
                  Interesting idea... but I'm afraid we have educated the savages and some now posess equal technology to us including nukes .... wouldn't be as easy as before

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    Please PM me your address.

I'll drop by with some heavies to appropriate your land.

Well, it's only fair, right?
                    Ah... but I can defend it (unlike this government)

Comment

Working...
                    X