PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to emigrate to Australia?

DimPrawn
17th August 2007, 11:46
Simple. Retrain at college as a plumber, earn mega bucks and never be out of work for a single day in your life. Honest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6951188.stm

If there's a shortage of plumbers, everyone knows about it, without having to read the papers.

The bathroom leak can't be fixed for weeks because they're all busy.

That was the situation in the UK a couple of years ago, but the gap has now been filled by newly-trained apprentices and qualified workers from abroad.

Plumbers can be seen as a bellweather for economic health During a housing boom, they are in demand, but now Australia wants ours. Plumbers are one of the professions on its wanted list as it raises its annual target figure for skilled workers coming into the country.

Forget all this pointless IT rubbish, that's going to India. Plumbing, that's the future.

milanbenes
17th August 2007, 11:50
immigration is a funny thing isn't it, in Australia for example...

'its annual target figure for skilled workers coming into the country'

in the UK we seem to simply have an annual target for migrants coming into the country

funny old world

Milan.

Troll
17th August 2007, 12:00
Part of the problem in Aus is that you're not allowed to do you own plumbing so have to use a registered tradesman....similar to our electrical/gas situation.

All of which leads to demand

barry_abs
17th August 2007, 12:06
no thanks.. i think we should resurrect the tazmanians and aboriginies and give it back.

DimPrawn
17th August 2007, 12:07
I remember seeing that on a TV programme.

A tradesman (I think plumber) moved his family to Aus and had to attend a training course and pass a series of practical and written exams before he was issued a permit to work there. Took a few months and they weren't allowed to sign on. Had to bring a large sum of cash into the country too.

How different to the UK eh?

Still, we know best.

Troll
17th August 2007, 12:13
no thanks.. i think we should resurrect the tazmanians and aboriginies and give it back.What would they do with it? If you cannot defend your land should you expect to keep it?

Ardesco
17th August 2007, 12:18
What would they do with it? If you cannot defend your land should you expect to keep it?

With that mentality we could probably roll over a large percentage of the world and restart the British Empire.........

Clippy
17th August 2007, 12:30
What would they do with it? If you cannot defend your land should you expect to keep it?

Please PM me your address.

I'll drop by with some heavies to appropriate your land.

Well, it's only fair, right? :rolleyes:

Troll
17th August 2007, 12:31
With that mentality we could probably roll over a large percentage of the world and restart the British Empire.........Interesting idea... but I'm afraid we have educated the savages and some now posess equal technology to us including nukes .... wouldn't be as easy as before

Troll
17th August 2007, 12:32
Please PM me your address.

I'll drop by with some heavies to appropriate your land.

Well, it's only fair, right? :rolleyes:Ah... but I can defend it (unlike this government)

wendigo100
17th August 2007, 12:52
With that mentality we could probably roll over a large percentage of the world and restart the British Empire.........Could we? The dress rehearsal in Iraq isn't going too well...

richard-af
17th August 2007, 13:20
I remember seeing that on a TV programme.

I saw that. The whole series was a parade of numpty halfwits who failed miserably to check ahead about that sort of thing. Knobs.

Sysman
17th August 2007, 14:01
I saw that. The whole series was a parade of numpty halfwits who failed miserably to check ahead about that sort of thing.
I saw that series too. There was one chap who did well, but I doubt if he'd have managed without his missus pushing him (and founding a successful business herself along the way).

Time and again, the rest of them were buying property and brand new cars before they'd established a decent income stream. Duh!

Clippy
17th August 2007, 14:02
Time and again, the rest of them were buying property and brand new cars before they'd established a decent income stream. Duh!

Gotta live the dream, eh.

lilelvis2000
17th August 2007, 14:20
I saw that series too. There was one chap who did well, but I doubt if he'd have managed without his missus pushing him (and founding a successful business herself along the way).

I reckon they figured 'coz theyis british they could sign on at the airport.

I did see one idiot who didn't go through any of the courses and then complained that he never got a decent job.

One guy I knew took most of the qualifications for the Canadian gas fitter and electrian courses and exams here. When he landed he pretty well had the work already lined up!