• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In hot water

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In hot water

I signed a contract for a consultancy as a contractor this week thinking 2 weeks notice either side. Wrong - there is a start date of Monday and no end date. Notice states in small print that I cannot give any notice.

Also... I have exposure to the automation tool I am being put in as an expoert for - the consultancy know I am not an expert but said not to worry as I would be shadowing the guy leaving. The guy has left today so I will be flying solo as an expert (ahem) on Monday.

Meanwhile I have unexpectantly heard from a dream local permie job that they want me, just a case of getting things signed off at their end. I would therefore welcome any advice on getting out of a signed contract with no notice and how to handle the changed goalposts about lack of support as promised.

There is a risk I may not get the offer I want for the local firm, but would still rather get out of this situation and start looking afresh.

To get out of the contract, come in dressed in a 1980s track suit with white gloves and moon walk like Micheal Jackson all day long.

When anyone asks you anything in the office or quizzes you about your behaviour, reply with a high pitched "Yeeeeee heeeeeeee ! ouuuuwwwww !".

Guaranteed to terminate any tough binding contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Quincy View Post
      I signed a contract for a consultancy as a contractor this week thinking 2 weeks notice either side. Wrong - there is a start date of Monday and no end date. Notice states in small print that I cannot give any notice.
      So you would be a permie then, and you will be working for them in perpetuity. That sounds a little harsh.

Comment

Lie. Invent a bereavement, illness, whatever. What works works.
        In any relationship with a company, put yourself first. After all they wouldn't think twice of getting rid of you when it suits them.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

First thing in the morning take your morning dump in a paper bag. Take it to the office. Put it on the MD's desk. Light it. You won't have to worry about the contract anymore.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
          X