• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Document.tgz to read on Windoze

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Document.tgz to read on Windoze

I was interested in reading a .pdf file that has been packed-up on SourceForge as a document.tgz (tar-gun-zip?). Is there any easy way of unzipping this on a Windoze machine with access to a Unix host?

Any ideas? 8o

It's a tar gzip

Why not transfer to the unix box, gunzip and transfer the result back?

Comment

Why not transfer to the unix box, gunzip and transfer the result back?
      Because the 'unix box' belongs to SourceForge and I don't have any write access to it. I don't have a Unix (probably Linux) machine set up yet. I was hoping to read through all technical documentation before setting a Unix machine up. (The technical notes may well influence my choice of Linux).

All I know is that I need "x86/Linux", but futher hints and installation tips are contained in the document that is currently zipped. I'm no Linux wizz, but I'm guessing that I should be ok with Red Hat?

I really need to unzip this documentation. I could ftp it to a webserver I use, (which is Linux based), but I don't have telnet access which I assume I would need to run guzip on it?

Any ideas?

(Summary):

1) I need to unzip and read documentation.
      2) I need to choose Linux version
      3) I need to purchase machine and install correct Linux
      4) I need to install code from SourceForge and carry out research/investigations.

Comment

rename the file to document.tar.gz and then load it into winzip.

Comment

Ah ha, you don't have the unix box, so sorry, missunderstood.

Get a copy of Cygwin that'll have to tools you require in it.

www.cygwin.com/

Comment

Cygwin

Cygwin - yup - a lot of messing about - (there must be a simpler way).

Anyway, I've got the pdf files open now and they are readable.

Mission accomplished - cheers. 8o

Comment

Working...
            X