• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Verbal acceptance of job offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verbal acceptance of job offer

Hi all,

Can you get out of a contract once you have verbally said yes to it?

If a person hasn't signed the actualy physical cntract, but said yes over the phone...can you just tell them you've changed your mind?

Anyone?
    The pope is a tard.

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Hi all,

Can you get out of a contract once you have verbally said yes to it?
    A verbal contract is binding in the state of New York...

Comment

No, officially you can't break your word, but you still have to negotiate terms... so just make unreasonable requests. e.g. an unfettered right to substitution.

If they REALLY insist you go through with the contract then sign and send some random person in your place.

Comment

Why, don't you wanna go to Wales, SA?
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
          Why, don't you wanna go to Wales, SA?
          A much better job has come up.....VERY last minute like (as I'm due in Wales tomorrow!)

Im really not sure what to do.
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

Do a search SA, this has been done to death .

Short answer, yes it is legally binding and you should follow through with the contract.

The changes of the agent chasing you if you decide not to do it are slim. If you haven't agreed the contract yet and the pimp is having a fuss you can always insist that there is a 1 week notice period for the first month of contract and invoke it straight away.

The pimp is likely to moan at you a lot but if you make it clear it's not something you want to do I doubt he will try and hold you to it, after all the pimp wants you there as long as possible so he gets his cut.

Comment

How would you feel if the boot was on the other foot? If an agent said "The job's definitely yours, see you in Wales", then turned around and said they didn't want you the day before you were due to start, you'd be pretty unhappy.

Technically, verbal acceptance means diddly squat, IMHO. Go with your conscience.

Comment

I would hide under the bed sheets until the horrible new contract has gone away.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
                  Technically, verbal acceptance means diddly squat, IMHO. Go with your conscience.
                  A case went through the high court fairly recently and the judgement was that a verbal agreement was legally binding and a precident was set. With this in mind if it did ever go to court you would loose as the agency would refer to established case law and a magistrate or district judge would defer to the judgement laid down by the high court.

However it is unlikely it would go this far as generally speaking agents know that there is not much point in trying to hold somebody to a contact that they do not want to do.

Comment

Turn up SA, and then invoke the notice period. Mine is usually 1 day for the first two weeks.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                    X