• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crikey, how the rich live in London...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crikey, how the rich live in London...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6951253.stm

'Crystal made the news recently when one businessmen spent £105,000 ($207,000) in one night.

The club's general manager, Fraser Donaldson, says it is becoming more common for bills to reach these eye-watering figures.

"This is bigger than the 1980s. Our average table bill has gone up drastically and London seems to be growing in that sort of way."

Trickle-down effect?

By day, many of Crystal's party-goers can be found in their suits and at their desks inside the glass skyscrapers of Canary Wharf.

Many global businesses are relocating here because of London's relaxed approach to financial regulation.

A favourable tax system is also encouraging more foreign billionaires than ever before to make the city their home. But is it actually good for London?

'

wow

Milan.

Favourable tax system is great isn't it? As long as you weren't born here you can live here like a king, use all the facilities and pay no tax.

That's pretty convincing I would have thought to those thinking of coming here.

Comment

I wish I had a pub where the clientele were so stupidly overloaded with cash that they try and impress each other by getting the most expensive round in... no wonder the landlord is smiling.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Tesco prem cru (£16) won the best champagne under £100 in an industry taste test. That doesn't stop stupid people paying out for Dom Perignon et al.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          Tesco prem cru (£16) won the best champagne under £100 in an industry taste test. That doesn't stop stupid people paying out for Dom Perignon et al.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html
          Pol Roger is the best. Yummy! And not too pricey, considering its taste.

Comment

I had some fantastic vintage Dom Perignon when I was in India this year.

Hotel did half price drinks on everything during happy hour, including champagne. A bottle of DP came in at about £55, so it just had to be done
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Another sign of the top!

tl, phone to broker in one hand and one-way ticket to the Maldives in the other.

Comment

i'd have been on their table like a shot once they'd gone - rich pickings for left overs!

Comment

Originally posted by barry_abs View Post
                  i'd have been on their table like a shot once they'd gone - rich pickings for left overs!
                  I think blagging your way into one of those places would require a little more effort than flashing your MBNA Platinum card.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                    I think blagging your way into one of those places would require a little more effort than flashing your MBNA Platinum card.
                    so a t-mobile top-up card's no good then?

Comment

Working...
                    X