• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non Disclosure & Non Compete agreement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Disclosure & Non Compete agreement

Did anyone sign any thing like that? I have applied for a contract with a small consultancy which has a really interesting work that would be great for my experience, but they want me to sign this agrement.

usually sign a non disclosure.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I've signed hundreds of non-disclosures.

Whats in the non-compete? Sounds like they are trying to sneak in a handcuff clause (Which is illegal if you are opted in)

Comment

that's what bothers me, they said I can not solicit work away from their client without them being involved, must admit when I was permie for Accenture they also had us sign such an agreement. However as a contractor suppose I worked for them for a contract with a specific client, am I supposed to avoid working for any of their clients for the term of this agreement (2 years)

Comment

Sounds uneforcible to me. I belive that 3-6 months is the maximum without falling foul of restraint of trade legislation.

http://www.gillhams.com/dictionary/310.cfm

That may help you out.

Comment

Sign the non disclosure.

If there is anything else in the contract about going direct / soliciting customers, then check the non compete clause is the same. I probably wouldn't sign it though.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Non-compete agreements are unusual with agencies (who know how to use the Agency Regulations to protect themselves), but common with small consultancies (who have a ludicrously inflated idea of how important their intellectual property is).

A non-compete agreement normally says the equivalent of
              "I promise not to solicit business from your client"

you need to have a caveat added that says
              "...unless they solicit me first, and I can also respond to adverts placed by agents acting on behalf of your clients."
              Plan A is located just about here.
              If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

I see what you mean Sandy. If the client is big and the consultancy is small, the consultancy could be chucked off the client's PSL, but you're still bound into the non-compete, making you damned if you do & damned if you don't. Maybe get some "...where reasonable practicable..." caveat in there.

Comment

Working...
                X