• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suggestions please...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions please...

For a christening present. Being an athiest and all I thought of the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but I think the youngster's parents would fail to see the funny side. Ditto the god delusion.

On a serious note I want to get him something religious - if the parents (who don't attend church themselves) are going to insist on getting the little one christened, then I want to get a gift related to the ceremony/religion that they are subjecting them to. Also don't want it to be too naff. The best I've come up with is a St Christopher, but even this seems a bit chavvy.

Over to you.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    The best I've come up with is a St Christopher
    He was sacked in 1969.

Comment

Silver teddy bear...hth
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

How about an antique(-ish) Book of Common Prayer? Loads on Ebay. Retro Anglican chic.

Comment

Or silver spoon was traditional

Comment

neither of which are really religious - unless St Teddy has been cannonised

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              How about an antique(-ish) Book of Common Prayer? Loads on Ebay. Retro Anglican chic.
              Good idea - or an old, leatherbound authorised KJV bible, may set you back a few bob.
              They used to give engraved silver christening cups as gifts - don't know if it's still fashionable now though.

Comment

Yes, most of my & brother's christening presents were silver/pewter cups, bracelets &c. Made the bookshelf look like a branch of Timpsons.

Comment

Lots of jewellers have things like leather covered bibles that you can have a silver panel engraved on them.

Willow Tree do some little ornaments - my sister bought my daughter a "Guardian Angel" from there.

Other religious books - there are plenty of Bible stories for children available.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Noah's Ark

Teach him to take care of the pennies (before HMRC does!)
                    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
                    X