• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Data Protection Act question....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Protection Act question....

My own hazy and v old understanding of the basics of the DPA was that you had to register and comply with the act if you kept persons records on computer.

Is that correct and STILL the case?

Or: do you only have to worry about the DPA if you sell details on to other parties?

I need this for a work related thing, so sensible replies from those who actually know what they are talking about only, please.

Its now if you hold information on people (regardless of whether its on a computer or merely on paper in a filing cabinet somewhere).

Safest bet for companies is to register as soon as you start collecting any information beyond which agents you called today.

Comment

dpa

last time I did anything you had to register if you held info on people full stop.

The person in your company that needs to register is the business person responsible for the data. The IT dept need not register if all it does is hold and process on the behalf of eg the marketing dept.

If you ring them up they are quite helpful

Comment

Working...
      X