• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting outside of London/Moving to the coast

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting outside of London/Moving to the coast

Hi there everybody

I've been contracting in London (as an Oracle DBA) for many years now, but the time has come to leave this fair (dirty, busy) capital and move to the sticks.

We're thinking about going somewhere near the coast, maybe to Norfolk (around Norwich), or Bournemouth, or anywhere esle near a beach...

I've been getting alerts from Jobserve about these places and there seems to be zero work around.

Is this actually the case? Or do agencies there advertise more locally?

Do any contractors live or work near coastal towns/cities? How do you find the job market?

Any info/thoughts/happy tales would be appreciated

Lou

They ARE thin on the ground on the coast. I've looked into it (Oracle DBA work). You might get something, but then be in the poo position of needing to either commute to London (direct train to Paddington from B'mouth), or sell-up and move back to a city, if/when the job/gig ends. Save up and retire there may be the best you can hope for. Sorry.

Comment

I wouldn't move to Bournemouth, unless you want to practice your fighting skills
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I live near Southampton and never even seen a gig relating to my skillset (SAS) in my locality apart from the odd one or two. Since starting contracting two years ago, my shortest commute has been 1.5hrs (e/w).

However, I like where I live and wouldn't move closer to the work (i.e. London)...
        Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
          I live near Southampton and never even seen a gig relating to my skillset (SAS) in my locality apart from the odd one or two. Since starting contracting two years ago, my shortest commute has been 1.5hrs (e/w).

However, I like where I live and wouldn't move closer to the work (i.e. London)...
          There are a few Pharms that use SAS people not that far away.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I live on the East Coast but have to live away during the week...there is NOTHING doing in the little sea-side towns. I get to Liverpool Street in about 90 mins when doing a gig in London.

HTH
            "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
              I live on the East Coast but have to live away during the week...there is NOTHING doing in the little sea-side towns. I get to Liverpool Street in about 90 mins when doing a gig in London.

HTH
              Doesn't the long commute (distance-wise) make it more likely that you'll be late or absent, owing to rail foul-ups?

Comment

London is the centre of the universe and there are no jobs beyond the M25, you are better off staying put and leaving us country bumpkins to pick up the scraps.

HTH
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Wow, not what i was hoping for!

I thought it'd be like, 'come on in, the water's fine!'

Hmmm....Don't like the idea of a 3 hour commute everyday.

C'mon people, there must be some success stories - don't be shy!

Thanks to everyone that's replied so far...

Comment

What are you expecting? Herne Bay to be the IT hub of the UK?

Move to the coast if:

1. You don't mind a 4 hr commute each day
                    2. You have a plan b that pays the bills and you are leaving IT contracting.

Comment

Working...
                    X