• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Performance Reviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Reviews

Hi

I'm an IT contractor working abroad and a lot of the guys contractors in the company have been there for several years. The company recently introduced Performance Reviews for contractors, is this normal practice?

Also despite my experience, I'm playing a very Junior role in the company.

Thanks

Don't know what things are like abroad (hint: this is Contractor UK), but performance reviews/PDPs are rare for contractors here.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Ask them if they'd give a performance review to the guy who comes in to fix the air conditioning. That'll confuse them.

Comment

Rare here. I've only had one in 19 years of contracting.

It was a strange event because I was also asked to do one on my boss. Of course I crawled up her ... ... hang on, I'll rephrase that ... I said lots of nice things about her, and thus got extended.

Feedback on what your client thinks of your work is useful, but not a permy-type review.

Comment

I'd just flatly refuse. If they don't like what you're doing then they shouldn't renew you. Its not like you're on some defined career path with milestones to check against... you are measured against your deliverables, nothing more, nothing less.
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

My client has decided that they will not renew contracts without a performance review. I understand everyone got 10/10 without attending the review.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              My client has decided that they will not renew contracts without a performance review. I understand everyone got 10/10 without attending the review.
              You must be pleased. Will that go on your CV?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
                You must be pleased. Will that go on your CV?
                I could burst with delight. Will have to think about the CV.

Comment

Hi Guys/Girls??

Thanks for the replies.

If I got my facts right, some of the other contractors didnt have this Peformance Review.

I had the performance review 2 months after they decided to extend my contract for another 6 months and it wasnt a particulary good review. Its almost like they used the review to pass blame for late deliveries e.g release of software but I could be being paranoid and there is no signature required for the review.

As far as Im concerned Im just a hidden permy employee getting a contractors salary and treated like a junior permy employee (and I dont like it). I dont particulary want to rock the boat as its a good rate and I could be there long term etc etc.

BTW been contracting for several years and this is the first time I have experienced this.

Any advice welcome?

Comment

Originally posted by steveweaver View Post
                    Hi Guys/Girls??

Thanks for the replies.

If I got my facts right, some of the other contractors didnt have this Peformance Review.

I had the performance review 2 months after they decided to extend my contract for another 6 months and it wasnt a particulary good review. Its almost like they used the review to pass blame for late deliveries e.g release of software but I could be being paranoid and there is no signature required for the review.

As far as Im concerned Im just a hidden permy employee getting a contractors salary and treated like a junior permy employee (and I dont like it). I dont particulary want to rock the boat as its a good rate and I could be there long term etc etc.

BTW been contracting for several years and this is the first time I have experienced this.

Any advice welcome?
                    Start by paying IR35 - if even you think you're a permie, then I'm sure Hector will too!
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X