• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The future of East London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future of East London

Does anybody have any thoughts on the future of East London.

Property pirces sky high, slow gentrification but at the end of the day it is still the East End and has a large proportion of skag heads, nutters and gangs etc.

In 10 years time, will it have nice little coffee shops and pattiseries or will it still be a ghetto?
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

East London? I would like to offer an opinion, but I can't get past the shuddering stage whenever I think of the place!

How about - You can put one of those furry seat covers on a toilet, but it is still a toilet.

Comment

Look at virtually every town and city elsewhere in the country for your answer. There will always be a roughly equal proportion of decent people and scummy people, and the distribution of decent to scummy areas will reflect this.

Therefore, for East London to be full of pleasant coffee shops and boutiques, West London would have to take something of a fall. Despite what our esteemed government would like you to believe, London 2012 will do little to change this.

Comment

Having lived there and worked for local govt there I don't think it's going to be the next Islington.

Walthamstow is trying a revival of the area - things have improved slightly but it's a running battle. Thing is, with so many council workers still living in the hippie 60s and 70s I see no zero tolerance administration or policing for some time to come - and therefore no sign of a significant improvement.

Comment

The only hope for East London (Mile End through to Ilford) is the Olympics. I was brought up in Ilford and the place is unrecogniseable from when I lived there 25 years ago.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            The only hope for East London (Mile End through to Ilford) is the Olympics. I was brought up in Ilford and the place is unrecogniseable from when I lived there 25 years ago.
            Didn't Ilford use to make film for cameras?

Comment

20 years: A harbour.

Comment

The bit closest to the City - Spitalfields, Aldgate East will gentrify/has already gentrified due to City money. As for the rest, too much council housing and sink estates. We need another Luftwaffe town-planning session, I'm afraid
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
                  Does anybody have any thoughts on the future of East London.

Property pirces sky high, slow gentrification but at the end of the day it is still the East End and has a large proportion of skag heads, nutters and gangs etc.

In 10 years time, will it have nice little coffee shops and pattiseries or will it still be a ghetto?

I think the building of a mosque to hold 100,000 (?) people provides the clearest trend there is for the likely future of the East End Why do you think Gorgeous George got elected there

Comment

East End full off pooftahs. Not like us ard nuts sarf of the river. The Krays would never go across Tower Bridge you know. Not while the Richardsons were around.

Comment

Working...
                    X