• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Noob questionzz

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob questionzz

Hi All,

Im 40 and thinking of going contracting after spending way to many years taking the easy coin from within the defence industry.
    I have a good understanding of the full S/W life cycle and skills in Ada/C/C++/Fortran and for the last couple of years have been coding Gui's in C#.
    My problem is confidence I have this knowledge across the board but want to concentrate on coding (prob C#, currently playing around with ASP/SQL at home to pick up some experience too).
    Im concerned that my first contract may expect me to go 'balls out' from the moment I sit down. Is this the case in the non-defence world? Can someone allay my concerns or add to them? Is it possible to ease in gently?

well, at least you are honest

all the best and keep us posted when you get your first contract and start the work

should make an interesting daily editorial, what it's like for a career public sector defense developer moving into the private sector

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Turnsleft View Post
      My problem is confidence I have this knowledge across the board but want to concentrate on coding (prob C#, currently playing around with ASP/SQL at home to pick up some experience too).
      Im concerned that my first contract may expect me to go 'balls out' from the moment I sit down. ?

My problem is confidence
      there lies your problem

Im concerned that my first contract may expect me to go 'balls out' from the moment I sit down.
      FUD ... are you sure contracting is for you... you have to be able to work through the "what ifs"

HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I'm gonna try that on my next contract,

hello new Boss, Milan here, can you take it easy on me 'cos I've just come from 20 years in the MoD doing nout and taking the coin

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          I'm gonna try that on my next contract,

hello new Boss, Milan here, can you take it easy on me 'cos I've just come from 20 years in the MoD doing nout and taking the coin

Milan.
          No change there then, eh MB?

Comment

Originally posted by Turnsleft View Post
            Hi All,

Im 40 and thinking of going contracting after spending way to many years taking the easy coin from within the defence industry.
            I have a good understanding of the full S/W life cycle and skills in Ada/C/C++/Fortran and for the last couple of years have been coding Gui's in C#.
            Im concerned that my first contract may expect me to go 'balls out' from the moment I sit down. Is this the case in the non-defence world? Can someone allay my concerns or add to them? Is it possible to ease in gently?

Welcome to the forum....Don't let these lot on here know you have no confidence as they will be over you like a pack of dogs. My first contract was the scariest time of my life (well almost) and i learnt the most inportant things on the first day.....a simple word that you should take to all contracts and interviews.........BLAG BLAG BLAG

Good luck
            Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

less of it Winston

Milan.

Comment

Blagging comes easy for me, in my field Ive had enough experience to last as long as I have
                Just so you all dont start dipping into defence, I do work hard *ahem sometimes

Comment

Turnsleft.

My advice, stay with the Ada/C++ and get into realtime stuff. It's a niche market and the market is bouyant at the moment. Although there seems to be lots of C# stuff around there is a lot more people doing it and tends to be shorter term gigs.

Try to get a 6 month gig using your core skills, get used to contracting and then maybe branch out, but remember milan has cornered the market in tape changing.

Milan. PoP going from public to private if you have the talent, bulltulip etc.
                  7 years now and only 2 weeks on the bench and that was cos I walked out and that was on my first gig.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Gibbon,

what does PoP mean ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X