• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Make science easier, examiners are told

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make science easier, examiners are told

From The Times (so it must be true)
    A document prepared by the Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ), which represents awarding bodies across Britain, says that, from next year, exam papers should consist of 70 per cent “low-demand questions”, requiring simpler or multiple-choice answers. These currently make up just 55 per cent of the paper.

The move follows growing concern about the “dumbing down” of science teaching at GCSE and grade inflation of exam results, which critics claim is the result of a government drive to reverse the long-term decline in the number of pupils studying science.
    What is the point of more kids doing science if they are learning less?

The mind boggles. We have completely lost sight of what education is for - to educate.

The current exams aren't really easier, BUT the level required for the grades has fallen.
    In maths GCSE you can get an A with >55%

Twenty years ago >70% would have been needed and 55% would have yielded a C, it depended on how everyone else did though i.e. it was adjusted to a normal distribution of grades. Now it's 55% every year!
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Wendigo,

calm down, it's all part of the grand plan

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        In maths GCSE you can get an A with >55%
        I sincerely hope that's a joke. 55%?????????????

How the hell are we supposed to judge the CVs of that generation when they come our way, what with this kind of tripe and a degree-a-penny???

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post

How the hell are we supposed to judge the CVs of that generation when they come our way, what with this kind of tripe and a degree-a-penny???
          unless you have 15 GCSE's at A* you are probably a failure

Comment

It always makes me laugh when I get asked for A-levels / GCSE's when applying for a gig .... I'm in my 30's btw..... sure warning to walk away

Comment

It’s the same in all walks of life, take out the competitive element and everyone's successful, unfortunately you're not allowed to point that out as that would be discrimination.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I caught a piece on "the one show" (I apologise for watching that sh1t), but they re-sat their exams. It was explained that the exams are comparable to 20-30 years ago, however the pass marks are the same every year now, i.e. no regrading if the paper was too hard or too easy, 55% was an A at GCSE maths, when I did my O levels that would have been a C.

Now I understand why 'they' say exams are not getting easier, they aren't, but it's much easier to do well.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Another reason is that a lot more of the work is coursework, so you can try it as many times as it takes to get it right and your teacher will tell you exactly what you need to get it right, because she has targets and league tables to achieve.
                  Very different from the all or nothing end of year exams in my day.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Just reject everybody with GCSEs. Clearly they're too young to have had a good education. O-levels are what to look for.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X