• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Losing interest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing interest

How long does it take you to lose interest in a contract?

I can only seem to last 3 months and then the thrill is gone and I start hitting Jobswerve again and spending all day on the net... I can't believe I lasted 5 years in my first (permanent) job.
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

6 months seems optimal.

First 3, you're settling in.
    Last 3, looking forward to moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
      How long does it take you to lose interest in a contract?

I can only seem to last 3 months and then the thrill is gone and I start hitting Jobswerve again and spending all day on the net... I can't believe I lasted 5 years in my first (permanent) job.
      Don't worry, losing interest soon mutates into all-consuming hatred and that opens up a whole world of opportunities.

Comment

depending on how close to home i am (which for the past 4 years i have never been less than 2hr train or 1 hr drive) i only stay at a contract for 2 years before moving on. Maybe this has something to do with expenses as well hmmmm.
        Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

It depends also on what rate you're getting. I've been in my current contract a while now - it's not the most interesting work and in fact is quite dull, but the rate I get here is probably 20% higher than I would get elsewhere. Kinda acts as golden handcuffs in a way but my aim is only to earn money at this stage, not to be in the most interesting work possible. I'll do that when I am financially free....

Comment

My first ever contract took about 5 days for me to lose interest. T-SQL coding all day, every day. No new (to me) technologies, no learning, no fun, no proper internet access. Only real thing i learnt is that I will never work for a software company again, horrible companies to work for.

Second contract, was there for 10 months and was sad to leave. Learnt a hell of a lot and bulked my CV up immensly. The crowd who worked there were a good laugh too, only 3 IT bods in the entire office.

Current contract - is a bit tedious, not exactly ground breaking work. Very straight forward coding but the rate is almost double my previous (contracting direct) and the team is huge (mainly external) and office banter keeps the boredom away. Again, CV wise its fantastic and I'm making a lot more contacts for potential future gigs.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Interesting work?.....this is a contractor forum
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Contractor Slogan
                "Ours is not to reason why, but to invoice High"
                threenine.co.uk
                Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by cykophysh39 View Post
                  Contractor Slogan
                  "Ours is not to reason why, but to invoice High"

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    T-SQL coding all day, every day.
                    Luxury! I've seen contracts where the Excel VBA monkeys would have killed each other for the chance of some T-SQL coding.

I only lost interest in a client once, and it took over 4 years to get there. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

Comment

Working...
                    X