• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employee or Temp Worker

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employee or Temp Worker

When I was contracting a few years ago I used a couple of Umbrellas that set me up as a "Temporary Worker" - nice and simple. Minimal administration and easy to understand payments.

Now that I'm coming back to contracting again, it seems the Umbrella agreements are all a lot more complex involving commissions and bonuses on top of minimum wage etc. and me becoming a 'flexible employee' of the Umbrella company.

I am aware of the MSC legislation but fail to see how that impacts on brollies.

Is it still possible to work under the 'old' system or do I def. need to go down this route now? (With the exception of setting up my own Ltd?)

For goodness sake (before someone else catches you), have a read of the 'sticky' threads at the top of the Accounting/Legal section and there's also some good guides to download

This should tell you everything you know, and you're more likely to get a constructive answer here with a specific question about something you read about but didn't quite get.

You will find that most (but not all) people here work thorugh Ltds and pay themselves low salary and high dividends and operate as if they are outside IR35.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 31 July 2021, 14:46.

Comment

Well I am asking a specific question about contract changes within Umbrella companies over the last two years.

I directly stated that Ltd's were not within the scope of my query yet you provided the knee jerk response I tried to prevent!

I have researched the legislation and of course scoured the forums but this is not addressed elsewhere. There must be a reason behind these structural changes, and of course it is no different to the tax position however you're taken on by a brolly, but the employment rights will certainly differ dependent on the type of contract you're working under.

Comment

[quote=dertyb;295210]When I was contracting a few years ago I used a couple of Umbrellas that set me up as a "Temporary Worker" - nice and simple. Minimal administration and easy to understand payments.

Now that I'm coming back to contracting again, it seems the Umbrella agreements are all a lot more complex involving commissions and bonuses on top of minimum wage etc. and me becoming a 'flexible employee' of the Umbrella company.

I am aware of the MSC legislation but fail to see how that impacts on brollies.

Is it still possible to work under the 'old' system or do I def. need to go down this route now? (With the exception of setting up my own Ltd?)[/quote

MSC legislation doe snot affect brollies, however many brollies also offered a MSC solution which they can no longer do, therefore they need to maximise their income from the Brolly solution - thats why a lot of their products have changed.

Also the expenses policy around brollies HAS changed.

As the first reply said most people on here are Ltd Cos, for a Brolly solution the one that seems to get recommended most is SJD

http://www.contractorumbrella.com/benefits.html
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
          MSC legislation doe snot affect brollies
          I know it's not very good, but equating it to the mucus output of a female deer goes a bit far!!
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
          X