• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Barclays going bust?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Barclays going bust?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6971731.stm

Barclays says that a "technical breakdown" in the UK's clearing system forced it to borrow £1.6bn from the Bank of England.

It is the second time this month that the bank has tapped into the central bank's emergency credit line, sparking fears it is facing a cash crisis.

But the UK bank insisted it was "flush with liquidity".

Time to buy gold and hide it in a chest at the end of the garden?

I hope the BoE took a leaf out of their book: sent them a bollocking letter, saying that repeat offences could lead to withdrawal of other banking services until Barclays had proved that it could manage its finances properly; and charged them £30 for it.

Comment

Time to buy gold and hide it in a chest at the end of the garden?

Then make a treasure map?

Comment

....hmmm

If this isn't a wake up call in the Uk for a credit crunch I don't know what is.

It is quite clear that other banks are refusing to lend to Barclays. In fact without the BOE Barclays would have been bankrupt.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Somehow I don’t think I am alone in feeling some glee at Barclays having a spot of bother after all the grief they have caused me over the years.

Barclays:

Sport of bother:
          Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Nah. It's just Revenge of the Back Office. "Why should Trading have all the excitement?"

Comment

This has to happen now that they finally have more of my money than I have of theirs.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If Barclays is about to collapse, glee is the last thing you should be feeling.
                The repercussions will be severe all round.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Switch bank FFS.

Nationwide (head office in Swindon ) is who you want to bank with.

Comment

It's only money.

Comment

Working...
                    X