• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie to contracting...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie to contracting...

Hi all,

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place and apologies in advance if I come across as a twit - but we have to start somewhere.

I've just registered on this forum but I have been lurking in the backround for about a month now!

I work in 2nd/3rd Line IT Support and am involved in many aspects of support - some of what I do is 2nd line and some is 3rd line. I enjoy IT support and I am starting to think that perhaps a permie role isn't the best for me! I recentley left local govt about 4 months ago to take up a "contract" but without contract rate job. I've been there about 4 months now and the company want to employ me as a permie but are playing down a salary increase in favour of training. I've got 5 MCPs, ITIL and numerous other certs and - apart from the ITIL - have payed for this myself. My current hourly rate works out to £11.20ph and to be honest I'm not interested in a company paying for me to do an MCSE as substitute for a decent payrise! I can study and pass the MCSE etc under my own steam - that way I owe no-one anything when it all goes pear shaped!!!

So over this weekend I have updated my CV and registered it with Monster, jobsite, reed, jobserve, cwjobs and Huxley. I have registered for contract jobs and as I am lucky enough to have a 1 week notice period from current employer I hope find a position soon!

I have looked into the Ltd company and umbrella company too. I'd hope to have my own Ltd company soon but will most likely start my contracting career off with the umbrella option.

Anyway, I don't really have any questions as I've searched the forum and found many answers to the many questions that I had!

Many thanks for reading and please feel free to take the piss out of me or just humilate me in general...

Cheers
    dr_beat (dumb support monkey)

I'm not interested in a company paying for me to do an MCSE as substitute for a decent payrise! I can study and pass the MCSE etc under my own steam
    yup, that's contractor thinking. You'll probably get lots of agents calling. Maybe scope things out for a week or so and see what's out there before choosing your first customer.

Since your interests do not conflict with mine, I wish you success*.

*in Marlon Brando Godfather voice.

Comment

Welcome, and good luck in the contractor market. Just remember, the taxman is your master! I hate tax. Tax makes me mad.

Odd thing - even though you posted this thread, you appear to have zero posts. Are you a ghost?

PS:
      Originally posted by dr_beat View Post
      Many thanks for reading and please feel free to take the piss out of me or just humilate me in general.
      You smell. And .

HTH
      Last edited by Moose423956; 2 September 2007, 22:18.

Comment

If using an umberalla instead of a ltd company ever crosses your mind, do a search on the forum as there are some that you should defo avoid.

Comment

LOL! my bad on the

I think my zero post count is because my posts are being moderated...

Thanks for the welcome! My first post seems a little pompous as I didn't explain that I'd like to get into contracting because I feel that I can adapt to new situations quite quickly. I've had previous experience of this from previous permie positions when I've taken on a project or I have had to fill in for some chump using off sick with stress! I do enjoy change...

I think i've said enough...
          dr_beat (dumb support monkey)

Comment

Wot no abuse for a newbie

Worlds gone completely mad
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post

World's

Comment

Dr b
                Where are you based/willing to travel ?
                Would you consider working shifts ?
                How would you rate your personal comms skills - mumbling geek or switched on 'accidentally in IT' normal type person ?

Comment

Welcome to the seedy world of contracting...

One point to watch out for immediately (with all the CV registering) is that after about 10am - when the lazy arse trolls (aka recruitment agents) have dragged themselves into work - you'll be deluged by phone calls trying to get names out of you.

Enjoy the fun of the contest not giving them any - they'll try lots of tricks - need them for x company who insist, do you know Mr Bean who used to be head of support etc etc.... There's a list of the tricks somewhere...enjoy the fun and don't let the ba$tards pi$$ you off.

Good luck in the contract hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post

Nope. No need to, since the OP has done all the things we always suggest newbies do. Personally I only go for the ones that expect us to do all the research for them. When they do it right it sort of takes the fun out of it!

dr_beat - Good start, keep it up. And good luck.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X