• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sweeteners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweeteners

Has anyone here, as a contractor, been offered a sweetener to take a contract? Something other than a rate increase.

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
    Has anyone here, as a contractor, been offered a sweetener to take a contract? Something other than a rate increase.
    Six years ago got a three week training course (six grand normally) that freelancers weren't allowed to go on at the time. It was more of a "Please renew or our clients will rumble us" scenario from a big consultancy I was doing a stint with.

This was also the gig when a secretary accidentely sent out a spreadsheet with everyone's chargeout rates to the client. Understandably, this was followed swiftly by some hefty rate hikes at the next renewals. I doubt I will ever get that daily rate again

Comment

You don't mean, like... you know...
      Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

No, I hate sweeteners. They leave a nasty taste, much prefer real sugar!!!
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

I was astonished to be asked what I might like to sweeten the deal when I had affectively said "where do I sign?" They had agreed to everything I thought might be controversial.

I should have asked for a new mondeo.

Since I already take 6 sugars in my coffee .....

Comment

I worked somewhere that considered offering plasma screen TVs or some such kit to contractors to work weekends.

But I think that was in lieu of paid daily rate, so probably doesn't count.

Just forget everything I wrote.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've always wanted to try out the line from the line from Dilbert's (or was it Ratbert's) job interview...

Interviewer: "What can we offer you to make you take this job?"

Ratbert: "...Well, I've always wanted a pony."

Interviewer (reluctantly): "OK, OK we'll buy you a pony"

Ratbert: "No, No, I want you to BE my pony".

Comment

Working...
              X