• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT FlatRate payment calculation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT FlatRate payment calculation

3am in the morning, contract has finished and on the bench(well painting at the mo) !

off to Spain in two days for One week of SUN...SEA...PARTY...PARTY

Hi people, I have registered for VAT after deciding not to use service comps any more.
    I have also regsitered for HMRC online services for VAT as well so that i can painfully give my money away to the taxman

I registerd for the Flat rate scheme and my 1st return is now due. my questions are:-

1) I am sure i read from somewhere that under the FlatRate Scheme that I will only be paying over not the full 17.5% VAT I collected , true ?, please explain?
    2) If above is true will filling out VAT online take account of this or I have to work this out myself (section 1)?

cheers

css_jay99

why is it a pain to find the right gig in the right part of London !

As an it contractor on flat rate I pay VAT at 13% (12% in the first year)

so for example I invoice for £1000 + Vat (17.5%) = £1175

If I pay at 12% then I pay £1175 * 12% = £141 so I get £34 to keep in the company accounts.

Not sure about your second question as I haven't done a return yet, first one due now.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
      If I pay at 12% then I pay £1175 * 12% = £141 so I get £34 to keep in the company accounts.
      Should that not be : £1000 * 12% = £120 i.e. 12% on your turnover not your turnover +vat

Comment

Vat

Originally posted by xodia View Post
        Should that not be : £1000 * 12% = £120 i.e. 12% on your turnover not your turnover +vat
        Nope, it's worked out on the gross amounts including VAT...

VAT 733-FRS Notes

Comment

There's a pretty thorough explanation in this thread.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Muchos gracias!

Taxman will have to wait for his money cos i am off to the airport in 3 hrs!

Spain, here i come

css_jay99

Comment

and as always - don't forget that any "profit" you make because of the difference between the VAT you charge and the VAT you pay is subject to Corporation Tax at the prevailing rate....
              Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                Muchos gracias!

Taxman will have to wait for his money cos i am off to the airport in 3 hrs!

Spain, here i come

css_jay99

Golden rule - do not be late with VAT payments. The Vatman is much more friendly than Hector, but has very sharp teeth. Do not mess with him.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Ok now back from hols.

called the VAT man up to ask if the VAT online site will correctly work out my 12/13% VAT return for Flat rate scheme.

The dude on the line says he has not got a clue what I am talking about cos I am down on their system to hand over the full 17.5%. I was like WTF cos I thought I was going straight on the FRScheme.

The dude said basically after applying for VAT, I aslo have to make an application for the FRS seperately AND in the meantime I should hand over their their 17.5% Entitlements cos they aint going to back date FRS to date of VAT registration!

I dropped the phone in anger and called 2 hrs later and asked to resgiter for FRS after i had calmed down. It was someone else on the phone and he told me that my FRS can start from date of registration which is 1 June 07.

Question is who do I believe ? considering my return has to be in by next month

any clues?

css_jay99

Comment

Go for FRS from date of registration.

Comment

Working...
                    X