• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which contract?

Been offered one contract 'up north'. Same job title and rate as I'm currently on (which I'm happy with), long term, (probably) straightforward work but based away from home (as I currently am).

Also expecting an offer (within an hour or so) for a contract in the City, new field of work (possibly an 'in' to more contracts), probably 3 months only but £50 a day more plus potential overtime/weekend work.

This role is one or two levels below my usual job title so very much hands-on but possibly less responsibility/stress. Also its (just) commutable - probably 2 hours train/tube door to door.

Need to decide today! Any thoughts?

You think 2 hours is commutable, not for long it isn't.

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

For me the chance to be at home would always sway it in the direction of the second one - but depends on how much you like your home! Also less stress and chance to get into something new would win it hands down.

Windy

Comment

I've done it for many years before so know what to expect. I'm not saying its pleasant but compared to living away... there are pro's and con's.

Originally posted by Mr Crosby View Post
        You think 2 hours is commutable, not for long it isn't.

Comment

2 hours = commutable?? Blimey... not for me it wouldn't be. Used to do about 1.5 hours each way and after a while it really takes it's toll. 2 hour train journey in peak times to and from the city also sounds expensive... I'm sure that will eat up your extra £50...
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by mbriody View Post
            I've done it for many years before so know what to expect. I'm not saying its pleasant but compared to living away... there are pro's and con's.
            Fair enough, I prefer to stay away.

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

Originally posted by mbriody View Post
              'up north'

'oop nurth'

Comment

Just to clarify I'm talking about 55 minutes train, then 25 minutes(?) tube plus waiting time and to and from the station i.e. truly door to door.

As for costs, £50/day = £1000/month. Season ticket is approx £450/month BUT I'm currently paying rent/bus/petrol of about £460. So not a factor, basically.

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                2 hours = commutable?? Blimey... not for me it wouldn't be. Used to do about 1.5 hours each way and after a while it really takes it's toll. 2 hour train journey in peak times to and from the city also sounds expensive... I'm sure that will eat up your extra £50...
                Last edited by gadgetman; 6 September 2007, 14:56.

Comment

OK then. Fair enough.. if you've done it before..

Reminds me of a documentary on TV not so long ago about commuters who came from Northern France every day to work in the city...
                  It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Love it

Actually I'm a scouser by birth so I should know better.

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post

'oop nurth'

Comment

Working...
                    X