• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Secure sites give some IR35 protection?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secure sites give some IR35 protection?

Do they? I overheard a conversation between some contractors who reckon that because they are working on secure systems due to the nature of the work it is reasonable to use the client’s hardware and phone systems because they would not be able to use there own, any truth in this?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Do they? I overheard a conversation between some contractors who reckon that because they are working on secure systems due to the nature of the work it is reasonable to use the client’s hardware and phone systems because they would not be able to use there own, any truth in this?
    Entirely true. Irrelevant to IR35 though, since it is a business-based requirement that extends to both permie and contractor staff, hence is not a differentiator in either direction.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Also it would be imposable for me to work anywhere other than the clients site and I could not easily substitute as my ltd is not list x.

Could I argue all of these points in the unlikely event of being investigated?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        Also it would be imposable for me to work anywhere other than the clients site and I could not easily substitute as my ltd is not list x.

Could I argue all of these points in the unlikely event of being investigated?
        Don't see why not.

As regards RoS, as long as you have the right, that is sufficient. You don't have to actually exercise it (although that would help greatly of course!): you may not be List X, but you could use an already cleared and suitably qualified subbie if you can find one.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Not necessarily.

Someone I know claims that he failed an IR35 investigation because he was direct with GCHQ and couldn't mount any defence that he was a business not an employee, since no-one could talk about the work or conditions that they worked in.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Not necessarily.

Someone I know claims that he failed an IR35 investigation because he was direct with GCHQ and couldn't mount any defence that he was a business not an employee, since no-one could talk about the work or conditions that they worked in.
            Perhaps he should have got better representation then. Or he's talking orbiculae. You can talk about the level of control, direction and substitution without being explicit about what it is you're working with. "My job is to classify patient records" - you don't have to say who the patient is or what they are suffering from, do you?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Perhaps he should have got better representation then. Or he's talking orbiculae. You can talk about the level of control, direction and substitution without being explicit about what it is you're working with. "My job is to classify patient records" - you don't have to say who the patient is or what they are suffering from, do you?
              Well, that would be my thinking to - I'm only reporting what he told me. I can't quite understand it myself, but in theory there is a chance that you could get done, if no-one can back up your case.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X