• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Records and Document Management -

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Records and Document Management -

Whats the difference ?

anybody provide examples.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Records are a historical archive, document management involves current documents that are subject to change.

Not that records don't need managing, but not in the same way.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

A Record is something that is finalised and that is not subject to change in the near future. A Document is subject to change and can eventually become a Record.

There are e-RM systems like Meridio that often work with increasingly popular collaboration systems like Sharepoint, but a e-RM system and a collaboration system are not the same things.

Comment

Oh god, I've got sucked into a Sharepoint roll-out...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Haha, that's gonna happen here I think. Right now we are a quarter way into an e-RM rollout, but they now want Sharepoint too.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
            Haha, that's gonna happen here I think. Right now we are a quarter way into an e-RM rollout, but they now want Sharepoint too.
            Sharepoint is not great for document management.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
              Sharepoint is not great for document management.
              Here it will be used as a collaboration tool which interfaces into an e-RM system that is also being rolled out.

I don't think Sharepoint is meant to be used as a doc management system...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
                I don't think Sharepoint is meant to be used as a doc management system...
                I agree, but it is being used as such by two of my recent big clients, including the one beginning with "M" !

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
                  I agree, but it is being used as such by two of my recent big clients, including the one beginning with "M" !
                  Trust M to use their own software in a way it wasn't meant to be used!

Right now we're all waiting on TNA to pull their finger out and develop a schema for migrating across different e-RM systems.

Migrating across different e-RM systems is a pain.

Comment

Looks like expertise in Meridio can pay extremely well. Jobserve have just sent me 3 different ads for the same "Meridio Consultant" contract today: one agent is quoting £600-£1100 / day, one quoting £750-£1000 / day, and one quoting an ultra-precise £1071.48 / day.

Wonder why it pays so highly? The job isn't even London - it's somewhere in Wiltshire.

Comment

Working...
                    X