• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anita Roddick

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anita Roddick

Brown bread. RIP

Bit of a surprise, that one. Brain haemorrhage apparently.

Probably injured when he lost to Federer last week.

Aye, a shame indeed.

A certain irony considering the name of her empire (until it fell in to the hands of L'Oreal).

I know a microbiologist from a 3rd Party who have to test many products from L'Oreal.

Based on his discussions with me, I refuse to use any L'Oreal products.

I won't say anymore for fear of libel, slander and all that rubbish. I trust him 100%.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      A certain irony considering the name of her empire (until it fell in to the hands of L'Oreal).
      That was the joke in the name: wasn't the original shop set between a couple of funeral parlours?
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Claim to fame: I was at school with her daughter. Who, IIRC, now runs a chain of sex shops? Anita wasn't as ethical as she liked to project publicly, especially wrt treatment of employees and business partners. But she saw a way of making money out of other bleeding heart liberal's ethical concerns. And there's no libel possibility there - she's dead. The dead can't sue.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I have heard similar, and I am annoyed at there being no chairs for the shop staff - they are expected to stand all day, apparently her idea.

And the products are tulipe, never found one I like, don't even go in anymore. Prefer the Organic Pharmacy and This Works...

Comment

Despite her not really being the image she projected, you have to respect people who built up successful business out of nothing. I'm sure most of us would like to do the same, and wouldn't worry about making employees stand up.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
            X