• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax on Motorcylces

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax on Motorcylces

Hi there, please treat me gentle, as I am new to this.

I have read the post http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...otorcycle.html with regard to taxation of Motorcycles, I have 2 scenarios, in both cases the following bits are the same:

Bike Value when purchased = £2,400
    Annual Business Mileage = 7000
    Annual Personal Mileage = 0
    I am a lower tax rate payer

1) Keep the motorcycle privately owned and claim a daily mileage allowance (7000 miles * £0.24 = £1,680)
    2) The company can purchase the motorcycle from me and run it as a company vehicle

Questions:

On Point 2, if the company purchases the bike is this treated as an expense?

On Point 2 Will the annual taxation calcs be:

Cost £2400
    Benefit in kind at 20% £480

Tax Amount at 20% £96
    NI Amount £61.44

Can I claim the following through the company as an expense?
    a) fuel, servicing
    b) Protective Clothing

How are these items taxed?

The Bike will be changed ever 3 years for another mondel that should not exceed £3,500

Finally, which is the best route, keep the bike private or transfer to the company.

Thanks in advance

Oh yes, just a couple of other hypothical questions......

If I chose to use my own motorcycle, and claim the milage, why type of log do I need to keep.

How would the revenue know if I used my bike or my car, thus changing the amount I would claim.

Comment

I'm not an expert (That's why I asked the questions last week) but I would say:

1. Keep a record of all business mileage, that's how you know how much to claim from your business

2. Service records/MOTs etc

Comment

Thanks. Again speaking hypothetically, are they really bothered if you put 7k miles but only did 6k?

Comment

Originally posted by aceboy View Post
          Thanks. Again speaking hypothetically, are they really bothered if you put 7k miles but only did 6k?
          Yes, they are bothered...but how would they know, as long as your records show 7k.

Of course, it's fraud, and if pushed the onus would be on you to prove that you did the 7k. Is it worth it for £240?

Comment

Make sure your service records & MOTs line up

Comment

Working...
            X