• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What happened to beautiful political speeches?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to beautiful political speeches?

"Workers of my country, I have faith in Chile and its destiny. Other men will overcome this dark and bitter moment when treason seeks to prevail. Keep in mind that, much sooner than later, the great avenues will again be opened through which will pass free men to construct a better society. Long live Chile! Long live the people! Long live the workers!"

President Salvador Allende's farewell speech

Has anybody wrote something similar in the last 30 years?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

"I'm hanging from a lamp post at the corner of the street"
    B. Musolini I believe.
    Last edited by The Lone Gunman; 12 September 2007, 10:24.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

There's a few gems here:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?clien...=Google+Search

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
        "Workers of my country, I have faith in Chile and its destiny. Other men will overcome this dark and bitter moment when treason seeks to prevail. Keep in mind that, much sooner than later, the great avenues will again be opened through which will pass free men to construct a better society. Long live Chile! Long live the people! Long live the workers!"

President Salvador Allende's farewell speech

Has anybody wrote something similar in the last 30 years?
        I wouldn't call that beautiful.

Anyway, "constructing a better society" sounds like a New Labour mantra to me.

Comment

Churchill's a safe bet (not the CUK poltergeist!).

e.g.

"In the bitter and increasingly exacting conflict which lies before us we are resolved to keep nothing back, and not to be outstripped by any in service to the common cause. Let the great cities of Warsaw, of Prague, of Vienna banish despair even in the midst of their agony. Their liberation is sure. The day will come when the joybells will ring again throughout Europe, and when victorious nations, masters not only of their foes but of themselves, will plan and build in justice, in tradition, and in freedom a house of many mansions where there will be room for all."

Comment

Still gives me a shiver when I hear it in the original - it's the delivery as well as the words:

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Still gives me a shiver when I hear it in the original - it's the delivery as well as the words:
              Been to the Cabinet War Rooms? Superb. Really.

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
                I have. Agreed. Amazing how they ran things from such a small area.

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
                  No must put that on my list ...
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Quite a contrast
                    Among the German people, I have done my utmost to eradicate the idea of everlasting enmity and to inculcate in its place a respect for the great achievements of the French nation and for its history, just as every German soldier has the greatest respect for the feats of the French Army. I have devoted no less effort to the achievement of an Anglo-German understanding, nay, more than that, of an Anglo-German friendship.

At no time and in no place have I ever acted contrary to British interests. Unfortunately I have only too often been forced to guard against instances of British interference in German affairs, even in cases which did not concern Great Britain in the least. I actually considered it as one of my life aims to reconcile these two peoples, not only through mutual understanding but through inner sympathy.

The German nation has gladly followed my lead in this respect. If my endeavors have been unsuccessful, it is only because of an animosity on the part of certain British statesmen and journalists, which has deeply affected me personally.

They made no secret of the fact that - for reasons which are unfathomable to us - their sole aim was to seize the first opportunity in order to resume the fight with Germany. The fewer reasons of substantial nature these men have for their schemes, the more they attempt to motivate their actions with empty phrases and assertions.

But I believe even today that there can only he real peace in Europe and throughout the world if Germany and England come to an understanding. Because of this conviction I have often shown the way to an understanding. If in the end there was not the desired result, it was really not my fault.
                    not really comparable with Churchill
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X