• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wires are better?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wires are better?

Germans worried about WiFi...

Use Cat5, you know it makes sense...

http://environment.independent.co.uk...cle2944417.ece

I cabled up my flat recently and turned wireless off because of performance issues more than anything else, I hated getting booted from world or warcraft because my wireless connection kept dropping out..
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Why get alarmed at all this exposure to radiation? From what I've seen in films it makes you a superhero with special powers, which is surely a good thing.

These scare stories are started just so the government can go around in special vans with detectors and make sure you've got a WiFi licence, and voila! Another stealth tax!

PS: Or a supervillain of course.

Comment

I use WiFi only for browsing or for the kids MSN.

For anything serious e.g. streaming, downloading I used wired or Homeplugs.

I almost typed "Hoeplugs" back there - the mind boggles

Comment

Biggest issue with wireless, in living in a flat in london anyway, is interference from the neigbours - I regularily pick up 12+ different SSID. So I just went out and bought a bigger f off antenna. Problem solved (For me anyway)
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
            Why get alarmed at all this exposure to radiation? From what I've seen in films it makes you a superhero with special powers, which is surely a good thing.

These scare stories are started just so the government can go around in special vans with detectors and make sure you've got a WiFi licence, and voila! Another stealth tax!

PS: Or a supervillain of course.
            Yes! It was disappointing, wasn't it, to see no superheroes emerge from the Chernobyl aftermath. Not even a crappy Wolverine type. Made the whole disaster ten times worse, if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
              Yes! It was disappointing, wasn't it, to see no superheroes emerge from the Chernobyl aftermath. Not even a crappy Wolverine type. Made the whole disaster ten times worse, if you ask me.
              Glad it wasn't just me. Although I was hoping more for evil mutants that would have to be defeated by our 'normal' Army, thus proving that we are in fact the pinnacle of evolution.

Telepathy would be cool, though.

And I agree with using cables if you can, simply for performance issues and getting rid of the godawful system tray cruft that most wifi installs.
              Last edited by Zorba; 13 September 2007, 10:27. Reason: Forgot to write the stuff I actually wanted to, which was actually related to the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
                Of course, we don't know the effects on the wildlife - spiders, lizards and such like.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  Biggest issue with wireless, in living in a flat in london anyway, is interference from the neigbours - I regularily pick up 12+ different SSID. So I just went out and bought a bigger f off antenna. Problem solved (For me anyway)
                  Wireless is still not a mature technology. It was rushed to market, hence the multitude of problems the average punter has. 802.11n has much promise, we'll see if it delivers next year.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Especially lizards!

Although feckin' great intelligent spiders might be a problem for mankind as well.

Hang on, who recently highlighted all the giant spider stories?

Comment

Working...
                    X