• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jumping ship

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping ship

Would you ever leave mid-contract?

I have an agent that's e-mailed me a couple of times in the last month with an "urgent" role that sounds ideal for me. What I'm doing now isn't really what I want to be doing, and after 9 months I'm getting a bit bored of it. The rate is okay, but not great, and they also want to move me to a new site further away, which I'm not thrilled about.

The new role isn't a great location either. I don't know about rates, but it's a more senior role and I wouldn't consider it if it wasn't going to be a substantial improvement, and it's also only 3 months initially which may not be so good.

I can get out of the current role with a week's notice, but it probably means burning a bridge behind me. But I've never needed any references so far. Ironically the current client is a leader in the field I want to work in, I'm just stuck in the wrong department, so I might want to work for them again further down the line.

Anybody got any wise words.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

it always comes back to haunt you... unprofessional etc etc we operate in a small work pool & I'm always bumping into someone I worked with 10 or more years ago; also agents move around so you may get a reputation throughout the industry.... think long and hard before you act
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Would you ever leave mid-contract?

I have an agent that's e-mailed me a couple of times in the last month with an "urgent" role that sounds ideal for me. What I'm doing now isn't really what I want to be doing, and after 9 months I'm getting a bit bored of it. The rate is okay, but not great, and they also want to move me to a new site further away, which I'm not thrilled about.

The new role isn't a great location either. I don't know about rates, but it's a more senior role and I wouldn't consider it if it wasn't going to be a substantial improvement, and it's also only 3 months initially which may not be so good.

I can get out of the current role with a week's notice, but it probably means burning a bridge behind me. But I've never needed any references so far. Ironically the current client is a leader in the field I want to work in, I'm just stuck in the wrong department, so I might want to work for them again further down the line.

Anybody got any wise words.
      I would normally say stick it out, be a pro etc. etc....
      However, they have given you a perfect excuse to bail and it will be their fault. You just have to say that the commute to the new site is not feasible and off you go. You might have a problem if they then say well stay where you are.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I have exited a contract which was had about 7 weeks left on it, giving the client the required 4 weeks worked notice. The client was very understanding and when out for drinks recently with people who still work there was told they would like me back. Obviously each situation is different but if you have been professional when working there and leave for a valid reason I would expect that the client would understand.
        Wise Scout - Contract job search engine

Comment

Yeah a big part of me says "be a man", stick by commitments etc.

I hate being honest.

I can't complain too much about the location as I get to work at home some of the time.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'd personally stick it out, but equally you have a notice period so you're perfectly entitled to use it - reputation follows you around, but unless you make a habit of it I can't see it hurting you too much.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Get a substitute to finish the contract for you???
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Get a substitute to finish the contract for you???
                Good answer. Everyones a winner.

Comment

Working...
                X