• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work in Uk from abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work in Uk from abroad

Hi

I've decided that in the new year I'm going to scale back the work to a couple of support type things that I can do entirely remotely, take my laptop and then head for sun or snow for a few months.

Putting stuff in storage, getting post sent to a mate's house, getting accountant to send in zero VAT return at the right time I've done before when I've been away for a bit, but never tried to keep working.

Just wondered if anyone has done anything similar? Did you consider local tax laws, insurance, expenses if you have to come back for work reasons etc. If in ski resorts did you find many other people doing the same thing?

thanks

My current client is finding it hard to replace me with a permie. They are going to give it one more try with a new agent. But if they don't find anyone, they have asked me to put forward a proposal on how I could do the work for their permie budget. I will be offering very limited on site time the rest off site and on call. I have discussed this with another clients in the past but nothing came of it.

Hope it works for you.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I live in Latin America - work in Hong Kong with a ltd company in UK.

ahhh the english winter...

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
        I live in Latin America - work in Hong Kong with a ltd company in UK.

ahhh the english winter...
        i was living in Oz doing remote support for a UK company part-time. i was getting paid in the UK in pounds. i found i had to pay tax in Aus. they class it as working in Aus. so, you will probably have to pay local tax.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I need to have an address in the uk to remain a director of the company. Is that right?

Local taxes would depend on how long I stay in one place I suppose

Comment

I'm entering a support relationship with my client in the new year. So I'll be getting remote access and become a 'real' consultant. Rather than the near-permie I am now (I've been on this team longer than most of the permies!).
            And on Monday some of them will be leaving...and I'lll still be here! But in the new year I'll be in my office providing 3rd and 2nd line support with additional work for new features..all from my tiny office.

This system I work on is apparently so important that I've to supply cover whilst I'm outta the country..anyone up for a four week contract supporting Access and Oracle?!

Thought not.

Anyway, the people I've managed to CV's for are pretty dodgy. From Dodgy universities (are Pakistani Uni's any good?) and blag on about stuff they're "expert" in but have no actual work experience in!

Oh BTW. I don't think you need to be in the UK to be a director of a UK company.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
            X