• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period

I have now been in my contract for 4.5 years and have just been given another extension, although i haven't signed it. I have also just accepted a permie job offer and they are desperate for me to start in 2 weeks.
    If i haven't signed my contract am i bound to honor the 4 weeks notice period? (not sure if it matters but i am 2 weeks into my extension)

cheers

If you haven't signed the extension and your previous contract has now expired, then you are under no obligation to work any notice period. However, the client is also under no obligation to pay you for the last 2 weeks work either if you just said seeya later I'm off.

How comes you are ditching contracting for the permie world??
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

By turning up for the extension you are accepting the extended contract which will be under the same terms as the original unless otherwise stated.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Tell them that you broke your leg, and won't be back in for three months.

Then bugger off to the permie job - they'll terminate the contract for you.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by notescontractor View Post
          I have now been in my contract for 4.5 years and have just been given another extension, although i haven't signed it. I have also just accepted a permie job offer and they are desperate for me to start in 2 weeks.
          If i haven't signed my contract am i bound to honor the 4 weeks notice period? (not sure if it matters but i am 2 weeks into my extension)

cheers
          Are you crazy ... got and extension and still going for a permie??

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
            How comes you are ditching contracting for the permie world??
            He/she's been there 4.5 years. I'd argue that was a permie job. It's certainly a lot longer than I ever managed in any permie job.
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
              He/she's been there 4.5 years. I'd argue that was a permie job. It's certainly a lot longer than I ever managed in any permie job.
              yeh, but I would have thought he should find another contract, not a permie role!

At my new gig there are 2 contractors one has been there for 7 years the other 6 years. As for me I can't even hold a contract longer than 6 months

Comment

Originally posted by notescontractor View Post

cheers
                you shouldn't even be on site if your contract has expired and you haven't signed - unless you have your own indemnity insurance rather than agency provided? if you are on site, you are operating under the agent having taken your word as a signature on the contract. therefore you morally have to do 1 month notice. this is what happened to me a few weeks ago anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X