• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear - Tories dreaming up "fairness" taxes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear - Tories dreaming up "fairness" taxes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6992299.stm

A new tax on UK short-haul flights and "gas guzzling" cars are among recommendations from the Conservatives' final policy review group.

The Quality of Life Group report said it was "unfair and illogical" cars and trains were taxed more than flights.

yup saw the gas guzzling idea which would hit 4x4's... biggest users = farmers, gentry, rich people... all of which I presume used to be traditional Tory voters....

another own goal methinks
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      another own goal methinks
      But the Tories don't appear to be targeting the traditional Tory demographic any more. They're targeting the much larger tradition Labour demographic, because it represents their only chance of winning the next General Election.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
        But the Tories don't appear to be targeting the traditional Tory demographic any more. They're targeting the much larger tradition Labour demographic, because it represents their only chance of winning the next General Election.
        So in effect we have 2 Labour parties... I know what you are saying but it is becoming difficult to see any difference in policies between the two parties.

What would you say is the Labour demographic?

Comment

What'd'ya mean "becoming". In 1997 it was observed that TONY BLAIR PM is an anagram of I'M TORY PLAN B.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            What would you say is the Labour demographic?
            That's a tough one. Here's my best (and probably wholly inaccurate and incomplete) effort - I reckon a lot of it boils down to income:

1) Ferals
            2) Civil servants
            3) Blue-collar workers

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
              That's a tough one. Here's my best (and probably wholly inaccurate and incomplete) effort - I reckon a lot of it boils down to income:

1) Ferals
              2) Civil servants
              3) Blue-collar workers
              You missed one.
              4) Scots.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                You missed one.
                4) Scots.
                The Welsh as well, now you come to mention it.

Revised list:

1) Ferals
                2) Civil servants
                3) Blue-collar workers
                4) The Scots
                5) The Welsh

Comment

Good list - the civil servants will never vote tory as they know their non jobs will go
                  Not too many blue collars left now-a-days. suppose the only ones missing are the recent immigrants

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    You missed one.
                    4) Scots.
                    Not any more - Labour aren't lefty enough for them. They're sloping off to the Nationalists.

Comment

Working...
                    X