• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Child Mortality

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child Mortality

The WS reporting this morning that child mortality has halved since the 1960s (from 20 Million to 10 Million per year). The reduction is due to the increase in things like breastfeeding, use of mosquito nets and clean water, mostly in areas with poor education, war or post war status and almost no work.

It got me wondering, do we celebrate the increase of the world's population when the planet seems to be struggling with the number of people here already, or does everyone have the right to life, nomatter what?

If we assume that the genuine sustainable population of this planet is around the 1 billion mark, it's somewhat naive to think that we'll ever reduce the population to a sustainable level under our own steam.

I used to worry about things like this, but now I realise that the only time we as humans take action about an issue is when the issue reaches crisis point. So let's continue to screw up the planet at the current rate, which means that the crisis point will arrive sooner rather than later, and we'll be forced to do something about it (whatever the solution may be) sooner rather than later.

Comment

Lucy...why the sudden interest? Are you pregnant? If so, was it Churchill?
      Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
        The WS reporting this morning that child mortality has halved since the 1960s (from 20 Million to 10 Million per year).
        And that's in spite of trips to Portugal...

Btw, define a child?

Anyone under the age of 16?

Comment

Under 5, for the purposes of this.

Comment

Under 5, for the purposes of this.
            10 million?

UK alone?

Feck me, that's a tulipload of "Soylent Green" you're talking about there!

Comment

I don't think there are areas without 'clean water' (London excepted) in the UK.

Worldwide. From the World Service.

Comment

I don't think there are areas without 'clean water' (London excepted) in the UK.

Worldwide. From the World Service.
                Ah well, there's natural selection for you.

Call me "Mr Cynical" but is a certain charidee looking for some more funds?

Comment

There's more than one planet out there. Malthusians, governments and other members of the flat earth society believe in contraception and population control. And once they've inflicted 'green' taxes upon us we'll be sharing a cave and rubbing sticks.

We should be going back to what we are good at. Get the army of burger flippers, management consultants, estate agents and lawyers into the New Hebrew Slave army building spaceships and get out there and explore the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    And that's in spite of trips to Portugal...

Btw, define a child?

Anyone under the age of 16?
                    UNESCO is <18
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X