• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Swiss have got it right

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Swiss have got it right

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6992670.stm

Switzerland has Europe's toughest naturalisation laws. Foreigners must live for 12 years in a Swiss community before they can apply, and being born in Switzerland brings no right to citizenship.

Sounds like a very sensible and reasonable approach to me.

Does that make me a Nazi?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    No

Comment

yes

Comment

I have a half swiss and half chinese friend. She doesn't speak german or french and look like she is from south east asia.

She is 28 and only went to swiss for the first time a couple of years ago. Yet she holds a swiss passport.

go figure

Comment

Something the Norwegians do not have right...

This Monday was local election day here in Bergen. And just to make sure citizens were of sound mind and judgement, no alcohol sales were allowed. The vine store was shut , beer on the shelf's were covered

I nearly dried up...
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Does that make me a Nazi?
            Yes: http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2938940.ece
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What happends to people who are born in Swiss but their parent's country doesn't recognise them either. What passport do they hold?
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                What happends to people who are born in Swiss but their parent's country doesn't recognise them either. What passport do they hold?
                I think they are stateless - I think there was a case of this.

Comment

They are, and they'll hold papers which allow them some scope to travel. In Switzerland they'll also have residency permits and possibly work permits.

It's pretty easy to travel to neighbouring countries on just the residency permit, though not strictly allowed.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I feel the need to be slightly pedantic at this point and point out that the name of the country in question is "Switzerland"

Comment

Working...
                    X