PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had an MRI scan?

gingerjedi
13th September 2007, 13:32
I went to see my GP yesterday as an old shoulder injury has been playing up for the past 5 years and I thought it was about time I had it looked at, to my surprise he booked me in for an MRI scan there and then, I’ve just been reading about the procedure and it mentions that if you have ever worked in a machine shop you will need to have your eyes X-rayed before they put you in the big tube as any metal fragments can be ‘sucked’ out and cause blindness… I spent the first 10 years of my working life machining aircraft parts.:eek:

Anyone had an MRI scan for this sort of thing? Should I be scared?:o

FiveTimes
13th September 2007, 13:34
I went to see my GP yesterday as an old shoulder injury has been playing up for the past 5 years and I thought it was about time I had it looked at, to my surprise he booked me in for an MRI scan there and then, I’ve just been reading about the procedure and it mentions that if you have ever worked in a machine shop you will need to have your eyes X-rayed before they put you in the big tube as any metal fragments can be ‘sucked’ out and cause blindness… I spent the first 10 years of my working life machining aircraft parts.:eek:

I've had an MRI scan, and whilst it isnt' painful it was uncomfortable.
Stuck in a tube and having to lie there without moving, and only enough space to breath.... Not very nice...

scooterscot
13th September 2007, 13:42
Do you remember that scene in x-men II when magneto escapes from his plastic prison by extracting the iron from the security guard? Well.... I don't want to raise panic or alarm but...

Flubster
13th September 2007, 13:44
II spent the first 10 years of my working life machining aircraft parts.
This could explain the ginger hair. Maybe it's gone rusty...

IGMC

Old Greg
13th September 2007, 13:44

I've had many a brain MRI scan as an unwilling subject of Mrs. OG's evil neuroscience experiments. It's absolutely fine but a bit claustrophobic and noisy - you'll get earplugs.

Any metal in your body is a big problem, generally:

implants, pacemakers, plates
piercings (they need to be removed)
Shrapnel and other fragments - maybe you need the x-ray, it is very carefully controlled

You'll be fine.

gingerjedi
13th September 2007, 13:45
Do you remember that scene in x-men II when magneto escapes from his plastic prison by extracting the iron from the security guard? Well.... this will not happen to you.

Best stay of the Guinness then.:wink

Bluebird
13th September 2007, 14:15
at least afterward you'll have a new party trick...put a lightbulb in your mouth and amaze your friends when it lights up !!!

n5gooner
13th September 2007, 14:21
yes I've had one done, I had a disc removed from my lower back. Lying in the tube is a bit of a drag. takes about 20min IIRC.

yes metal is an issue, and they get you to get changed out of your cloathes into a gown, try not to take your CC there, my father had the same thing, and the machine wiped all the cc !!

NotAllThere
13th September 2007, 14:56
I've had two, one before and one after surgery for two slipped disks in the neck. ( I thought it was just shoulder pain, but when my left arm got paralysed and my fingers went numb, I was a little alarmed. Oh, and it started to hurt a lot ).

First one, I was on morphine and feeling very pukey. :sick If I'd not had a panic button to press, I'd have panicked.

Second one, a year after surgery, was much more relaxed. You have to change into a hospital gown, then just lie there for 15-20 minutes listening to wierd clicks and thumps. I could just see out of the bottom of my eye the outside world, so claustrophobia wasn't an issue.

Nothing to worry about.

DBA_bloke
13th September 2007, 15:02
According to "House", prison tattoos can, owing to metallic particles in the ink used, lead to excruciating pain, when the particles are drawn through the skin, like bizillions of little razors. Just a thought.

[EDIT] Razor analogy is wrong. The metal oxide particles can heat-up and burn... rare, though.

Old Greg
13th September 2007, 15:06
According to "House", prison tattoos can, owing to metallic particles in the ink used, lead to excruciating pain, when the particles are drawn through the skin, like bizillions of little razors. Just a thought.

And some other metallic based tattoos (principally applied in North America). It's one of the things that Mrs OG screens for before sticking people in the scanner.

gingerjedi
13th September 2007, 15:26
I've had two, one before and one after surgery for two slipped disks in the neck. ( I thought it was just shoulder pain, but when my left arm got paralysed and my fingers went numb, I was a little alarmed. Oh, and it started to hurt a lot ).

My left arm feels numb sometimes, I went in with a complaint about my shoulder and he thought it was more likely to be a problem with my neck so it may be a similar thing.

[EDIT] Razor analogy is wrong. The metal oxide particles can heat-up and burn... rare, though.

:eek::eek::eek: I used to have problems with my contact lenses (non disposable in those days) The optician said he had never seen anything like it when he noticed hundreds of red dots on them, it turns out the metal dust particles at my work were oxidising on the surface.... I must stop reading this as I'm feeling a little faint.:o

_V_
13th September 2007, 15:41
Apart from your whole body turning inside out and spraying everyone with offal, you'll be fine. This is the NHS after all. Best medical care in the world.

I'm sure the foreign trainee operator who speaks no English and has had 2 hours training will look after you....

Fooked mate.

Lucy
13th September 2007, 15:55
Had an MRI a few years ago, it was okay, must lay very still and had to drink some radioactive yuk beforehand.

DBA_bloke
13th September 2007, 16:02
Had an MRI a few years ago, it was okay, must lay very still and had to drink some radioactive yuk beforehand.

Drambuie?

madhippy
13th September 2007, 19:28
is it true that MRI used to be called NMR but they got fed up of people turning up at hospitals and the nurses giving them an enema ???????????

threaded
13th September 2007, 19:33
I've had lots and lots of MRI scans, sometimes as many as 6 in one day. There again, aw bless some other poster can fill in the rest.

Lucy: doubt it was radioactive...

If the machine is modern you won't need to lay as still as you did with the older ones.

The tattoos thing is that it can mess up the image. Excruciating pain indeed!?

threaded
13th September 2007, 19:35
is it true that MRI used to be called NMR but they got fed up of people turning up at hospitals and the nurses giving them an enema ???????????

They dropped the N because it was confusing the loonies who thought it was like nuclear, as in radioactive.

Or so I was told by the chap who changed the name.

bored
13th September 2007, 19:41
Had a course at the uni about the maths behind MRI. The most boring course ever...

threaded
14th September 2007, 04:25
Had a course at the uni about the maths behind MRI. The most boring course ever...

Didn't have me teaching it I take it. I get invites from all over the world to do my 'How MRI works and what's the maths like' talks.