• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Famous Welsh phrases or sayings...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous Welsh phrases or sayings...

"Shut that door open"

or

"Who belongs to this"

Ah the linguistic challenges of working in Wales...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Crikey boyos, that’s allot of Fuzzy Wuzzies
    "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

"Famous Welsh phrases or sayings"

How do I get its legs into my wellies dad?
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Why have I got 3 eyes and why is Mum my sister? (North Wales, only).

Comment

or

You must meet my wife and my sister - oh no here she is now!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Speaking as a real Welshman (well, a Pembrokeshire one, at least), my two favourites are always:

Who's coat is that jacket?

and

I put it on the table and when I looked again there it was, gone.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Who's coat is that jaacket, 'angin up on the floor with a pasty in the pocket

Comment

twll dy din
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
                  twll dy din
                  That's rude, look you.

[EDIT] Welsh swearing sounds a bit crap, doesn't it? Nothing, nothing like as good as proper English swearing. "twll dy din": may as well mean "Tut-tut". 1-nil to the English, as per.
                  Last edited by DBA_bloke; 14 September 2007, 09:59.

Comment

More of a story

Went to a lovely hotel in Cardiff for the rugger some years past and thought I’d pop into the hotel bar for an early pint at 11:30.

Cheery chap behind the counter said that he couldn’t serve me until 12:00 as the bar wasn’t open.

Not to bother, the pre-game was on the telly so I picked up a paper and had a quiet read.

5 minutes later the same cheery lad asked if I’d like a pint whilst I was waiting!
                    "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Working...
                    X