PDA

View Full Version : sharesin NorthernRock

n5gooner
14th September 2007, 12:52
with the shares so low - is now a good time to buy some......

Lucy
14th September 2007, 12:53

unless it all goes horribly wrong...then buying a gun is a better idea

n5gooner
14th September 2007, 12:55
unless it all goes horribly wrong...then buying a gun is a better idea

got a gun, just want a quick buck.

DBA_bloke
14th September 2007, 12:57
I had a manager who bought about £10k's worth of M&S stock in 1999 (I think), when M&S were predicted to go tits-up. Bought 'em for about 50p each (I think, again). The f---ing financial genius! And I said he was mad...

RightLaugh
14th September 2007, 12:57

all depends on your attitude to risk. could go down alot more in the next few days.
also with all these people taking out their cash they might have to go back to the BOE for some more.

Muttley08
14th September 2007, 12:58
It hasn't seen the bottom yet - quite funny watching all the old dears queueing outside the branches....one branch has shut it's doors they reckon...share price will fall further I think...

scooterscot
14th September 2007, 13:01
I don't do investing in numbers.

If it's real and I can touch it, I can know it, I can research it, I might even invest in it.

gingerjedi
14th September 2007, 13:04
I was told by someone in the know that they were a good buy on Tuesday.:eek:

snaw
14th September 2007, 13:05
A good frined of mine who's in risk in financial markkets sent all his friends an email on Northern Rock, and generally on financial institutions in the UK at the moment - key line in his email was this:

If you have any significant money in accounts with insignificant institutions I'd get it out.

In the 7 years I've known him he's never once sent me an email like that. He works for one of the major players and is in a pretty senior risk role. I know what I'd be doing right now, and shares in Northern rock wouldn't be one of them.

Churchill
14th September 2007, 13:05
I was told by someone in the know that they were a good buy on Tuesday.:eek:

Obviously someone who likes you lots...

BoredBloke
14th September 2007, 13:06
was it good buy or goodbye

wendigo100
14th September 2007, 13:06
I had a manager who bought about £10k's worth of M&S stock in 1999 (I think), when M&S were predicted to go tits-up. Bought 'em for about 50p each (I think, again). The f---ing financial genius! And I said he was mad...I did the same thing with M&S, at about the same time.

At least, I thought I had, but the transaction went wrong or something and when I found out I never bothered to re-do it and stuck my money elsewhere. :mad

I'd make a good financial adviser... :laugh

FiveTimes
14th September 2007, 13:07
I had a manager who bought about £10k's worth of M&S stock in 1999 (I think), when M&S were predicted to go tits-up. Bought 'em for about 50p each (I think, again). The f---ing financial genius! And I said he was mad...

I did a similar thing with Marconi, bought a shed load at 98p just after they had suspended trading..... I thought big company, good products, it can't go any lower.
We all know how that one finished...:mad:

Still some you win, some you loose

Bluebird
14th September 2007, 13:07
apparently all their contractors were through Prosperity4....

Andy2
14th September 2007, 13:10
I dont care about NR ,as long as cater allen is ok :D

meridian
14th September 2007, 13:10
I did a similar thing with Marconi, bought a shed load at 98p just after they had suspended trading..... I thought big company, good products, it can't go any lower.

Still some you win, some you loose
:spel lose

Also, how do you buy shares after they've suspended trading???

FiveTimes
14th September 2007, 13:14
:spel lose

Also, how do you buy shares after they've suspended trading???

The resumed the following day, that's when I bought... and they continued to fall....

wendigo100
14th September 2007, 13:16

Still some you win, some you looseI used to work for Marconi, years before the troubles, but I still had a load of mates there with nice share options, you know, buy for a quid regardless of what the market price is.

Anyway, from a few quid, suddenly the shares were only worth 1p or something. Well pee'd off you are, isn't it.

Sorry, that's a hangover from the welsh thread.

eliquant
14th September 2007, 13:18
If Northern Rock go belly up will the mortgage debt be wiped or just tranferred to a buying company for the princely sum of one pound ?

scooterscot
14th September 2007, 13:19
I used to work for Marconi, years before the troubles, but I still had a load of mates there with nice share options, you know, buy for a quid regardless of what the market price is.

Anyway, from a few quid, suddenly the shares were only worth 1p or something. Well pee'd off you are, isn't it.

Sorry, that's a hangover from the welsh thread.

Me too. Were you ever at the NEC when Lord simpson gave all the graduates a £5 pound share and told us this would be worth £20+ in the years to come?

I got a 2p divi some years later and a share worth less than a sheet of loo paper.

Muttley08
14th September 2007, 13:21
If Northern Rock go belly up will the mortgage debt be wiped or just tranferred to a buying company for the princely sum of one pound ?

Apparently sold on to another bank - it's an asset. Shame aint it?

Dundeegeorge
14th September 2007, 13:44
(repositions shades, revs up motorcycle and drives off in a cloud of dust)

MrRobin
14th September 2007, 13:51
It;s falling again... -30% now

NoddY
14th September 2007, 14:09
A good frined of mine who's in risk in financial markkets sent all his friends an email on Northern Rock, and generally on financial institutions in the UK at the moment - key line in his email was this:

In the 7 years I've known him he's never once sent me an email like that. He works for one of the major players and is in a pretty senior risk role. I know what I'd be doing right now, and shares in Northern rock wouldn't be one of them.

I'd be very reluctant to follow financial advice from someone who has to resort to working for income.

Sockpuppet
14th September 2007, 14:27
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/shares/3/23193/intraday.stm

wendigo100
14th September 2007, 14:43
Arnie Weinstock must be spinning in his grave... for all his faults (and there were many) he was a better man than the twats that followed him...My first boss when I left school. He knew about making money. He'd never have made that speculative punt on whatever that comms company was. He was godlike.

FiveTimes
14th September 2007, 14:47
My first boss when I left school. He knew about making money. He'd never have made that speculative punt on whatever that comms company was. He was godlike.

Speculative punt was FORE Systems - £3bn... and paid cash aswell. Arnie would have at least made sure he kept his cash pile and offered shares as part of the deal.

Sockpuppet
14th September 2007, 15:42
Now down 32%

Crikey!

Sysman
14th September 2007, 18:03
My first boss when I left school. He knew about making money. He'd never have made that speculative punt on whatever that comms company was. He was godlike.
But the prat left the heritage of forcing suppliers out of business by not paying on time.

Lambros
14th September 2007, 18:09
It's panic: Get Your Money! Another UK bank crying help from Bank of England

For those who cannot read?????

Lets have more pictures of people waiting in line in front
of the bank?????????

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44116000/jpg/_44116340_northernrockqueue203.jpg

Lambros
14th September 2007, 20:33
Banks and their greedy masters have taken the people for a ride long enough. Yes many innocents will lose their shirts and that is so sad. But the bright side is these bastards who live on $20,000 bottles of wine eat $1,000 meals fly private will soon be selling their own shirts of their backs.

The real ordinary civilized people can survive on a tiny sum, we have learnt to cope, these big bankers will be throwing themselves from the top of their banks in the months to come.

I can easily survive but those who have had it so great for so long will be chewing valium for breakfast dinner and supper.

snaw
14th September 2007, 20:54
Banks and their greedy masters have taken the people for a ride long enough. Yes many innocents will lose their shirts and that is so sad. But the bright side is these bastards who live on $20,000 bottles of wine eat $1,000 meals fly private will soon be selling their own shirts of their backs.

The real ordinary civilized people can survive on a tiny sum, we have learnt to cope, these big bankers will be throwing themselves from the top of their banks in the months to come.

I can easily survive but those who have had it so great for so long will be chewing valium for breakfast dinner and supper.

Clearly you don't know many bankers, or indeed much about history.

wendigo100
15th September 2007, 08:54
But the prat left the heritage of forcing suppliers out of business by not paying on time.Sure he made it difficult with his 90-day terms, but tell me, how many went out of business because of it?

I worked as a purchaser in GEC's defence business for a while. Suppliers made a lot from GEC. They knew the score.

Sysman
15th September 2007, 10:23
Sure he made it difficult with his 90-day terms, but tell me, how many went out of business because of it?

I worked as a purchaser in GEC's defence business for a while. Suppliers made a lot from GEC. They knew the score.

I'm not claiming that GEC's suppliers suffered, more that 90+ days became the norm for the rest of UK business.

Actually, that reminds me of my first repeating contract. Lousy payers time-wise, but as long as I had a purchase order to cover my work, there were zero worries about getting paid eventually.

It was quite nice, no agency involved, could in those days do it under self-employed status, and I charged 50% above the typical going contract rate, plus expenses.