• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amazing US: Dell Computers and beware before you purchase one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing US: Dell Computers and beware before you purchase one

The campaign is due to Dell's demand that its products not be handed over to citizens of some countries, including Cuba, the daily Folha de Sao Paulo said Wednesday in its online edition.

According to the report, Brazilian nuclear physicist Paulo Gomes of the Federal Fluminense University (UFF) tried to purchase two computers for his laboratory two weeks ago.

He was asked to sign a document vowing not to use them in the production of weapons of mass destruction and not to hand them over to citizens of countries hostile to the US.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/070913/43/6kp25.html

What a joke, as if you can't buy other brands.

How naive can you get?

Read any EULA for software in the last 20 or more years, and that's what they ask you to sign.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

It was even dafter in the cold war period. I was once involved in a bid for a training simulator in Perm. We wrote one proposal for the Russians describing how the computer to be suppled was state of the art, flexible, powerful, plenty of spare capacity and another for the vetting agency describing how the same equipment was slow, obsolete and you would be hard put to play Pakman on it.

Puts the Russian's objections to the missile shield in perspective. Is it likely the US would provide them with sufficient details to really reassure them they were not the target? Of course not.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        How naive can you get?

Read any EULA for software in the last 20 or more years, and that's what they ask you to sign.

I didn't need to sign anything for my computer. In any case who needs Dells
        because most of the components are mostly from Taiwan, China and Korea.

No one has spare money to give to rich executives in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambros View Post
          I didn't need to sign anything for my computer. In any case who needs Dells
          because most of the components are mostly from Taiwan, China and Korea.
          Pass. If you don't want answers, then don't post.
          No one has spare money to give to rich executives in the USA.
          Please explain that to the RIAA.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

It's part of Dells t&c's when you purchase a unit online.

I guess they are covering their asses as they could be held liable for supplying technology to countries on the US terrorist/freedom fighter friendly list.

I would imagine most of the beardies are running Lenovos now anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X