• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Northern Crock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern Crock

Just took the dog for a walk around Sheffield city center, customers are queuing outside of the local branch of Northern Rock (January sale style), there is a poster on the door saying £500 per customer per day maximum withdrawal unitl further notice.

Surely this bank won't go to the wall will it?

Here's how to deal with a Kredit Krunch and a freefalling building society:

A Wonderful Life

Comment

Originally posted by DGK View Post
      Just took the dog for a walk around Sheffield city center, customers are queuing outside of the local branch of Northern Rock (January sale style), there is a poster on the door saying £500 per customer per day maximum withdrawal unitl further notice.

I wonder if they are enforcing the £500 limit on internet bank transfers? Surely they can not hold your money hostage?

Comment

Originally posted by backlight View Post
        I wonder if they are enforcing the £500 limit on internet bank transfers? Surely they can not hold your money hostage?
        I don't think they can hold it hostage, but they can certainly be very slow in processing such a request.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Are they saying max £500 cash, or electronic or other transfers. If it is the latter then that's very worrying.

Comment

Bankrupt UK

same happened in Russia and Argentina. UK turn !

Comment

Soft landing.
              Gentle correction.
              It's different this time.

Comment

Originally posted by DGK View Post
                customers are queuing outside of the local branch of Northern Rock (January sale style), there is a poster on the door saying £500 per customer per day maximum withdrawal unitl further notice.

No. They only have so much cash per branch, and are perfectly entitled to limit the amount each customer can withdraw. It's like Tesco saying each customer can only have six bottles of the today-only-special-offer-£1-champagne. The important thing is the word "withdraw"; they aren't saying that you can't transfer greater amounts.

Go along the queue talking to people and you'll find they are drawn wholly from the 90% of the population who are total morons and panic at rumours, rather than analysing a situation and drawing reasonable conclusions. (That, or they're married to one of said morons and are only obeying orders.)

I'm still getting my finances back into shape after various life-related calamities, but if I had a grand or two floating around that I could afford to lose, I'd be putting it all into NR shares as soon as the markets open on Monday. Once the two-short-planks brigade have calmed down - or, more likely, found some other non-existent threat to panic about - the recovery in NR's share price will almost certainly be spectacular.
                Last edited by NickFitz; 15 September 2007, 15:22. Reason: Fixed over-zealous quote trimming.

Comment

Working...
                X