• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Red Ring Of Death

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Ring Of Death

Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh. MyXBox-360 has gone the way of the dodo. Have to wait 20 days for a replacement from MS.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

My first thought was you had a spot of chronic dia-horei-hea
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

wasn't their a dodgy component in XBox 360s anyways that burnt out after 2 years usage ?

Comment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...scomment.games

Comment

From the artical "The billion-dollar figure also indicates that Microsoft's repeated insistence that the failure rate was about average for such hardware - that is, between 3% and 5% - cannot have been true."

What the heck does that mean? FR is usually measured as the number of failures per million hours, from which an MTBF is calculated. Besides crappy journalism, you woul have thought a company like MS would have comissioned a reliability study prior to manufacture, the cost would have been nothing compared to the one they are now facing. Always be weary of anything that reads "made in the USA"
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

At least they're replacing it free of charge. They e-mailed me a UPS label which I just add to a box containing the console (I get to keep the hard drive and my game saves) and UPS will pick it up on Monday.

Most importantly, it wasn't an Indian call centre. The guy I spoke to was a real live American who understood what I was talking about.

So although my early model 360 was part of a batch that were dodgy, the customer service has been excellent. Don't normally get to praise MS like that...

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
              Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh. MyXBox-360 has gone the way of the dodo. Have to wait 20 days for a replacement from MS.
              Oh crap , now you can't waste your time with childish stuff

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Always be weary of anything that reads "made in the USA"
                Slightly off topic, but the yanks never fail to amaze me with their take on things.

In order to continue to stick Made in USA labels on their products, they manufacture them off shore on some small islands off the coast of Hawaii. I forget the name (Edit: Saipan), but they are classified as US territories but the workers there are not US citizens and, hence, are not afforded the same rights.

Essentially, large multi-nationals like GAP are able to produce clothing at equivalent prices to China in terms of labour costs without incurring large shipping costs.

All so that Brad from Houston can get his XXXL chinos at rock bottom prices and feel a sense of pride knowing they were 'manufactured' in the good 'ol USA.
                Last edited by Clippy; 16 September 2007, 22:11.

Comment

Most 360's are made in china just like everything else, mine went tits up after 7 months but the replacement has lasted 15 months so far.

The problem is simple, the GFX card would overheat and pop off the board so the fix was to glue it in place, they have developed cooler running IBM and ATI chips but there's no way of knowing which of the new ones have them.

I feel like an 'uber geek' now... HTH.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    The problem is simple, the GFX card would overheat and pop off the board so the fix was to glue it in place, they have developed cooler running IBM and ATI chips but there's no way of knowing which of the new ones have them.
                    Strange thing is that mine went after about 2 mins on a cold start. Was still in the menu section and was getting the game out of it's box at the time. It was definitely not overheating. Nevermind, I've heard that the newer ones (ie. my replacement) use a lower micron process in their chips making the whole thing run a lot cooler - if that is indeed the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X