View Full Version : Colin McRae RIP

MobileCheese
15th September 2007, 21:39
RIP

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece

Only sport I ever liked rallying :ind

scooterscot
15th September 2007, 21:43
no way. I read the story but never found out who the occupants were. Before his time.

wendigo100
15th September 2007, 22:42
Blimey, first Richard Burns, now McCrae.

NickFitz
16th September 2007, 03:18
Bang goes that franchise (http://www.codemasters.co.uk/cmr/).

But seriously...

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

(Why isn't there a "sombre" smiley? The one most visually appropriate to such a feeling is "indifferent", which isn't what I feel: :ind)

wxman
16th September 2007, 06:24
Colin's 5 year old son was also killed as well - very sad and tragic news.

milanbenes
16th September 2007, 08:05
Jesus,

why do all these rich people have crashes in helicopters ?

Lesson for us all, if we ever become rich don't get delusions of having a helicopter and becoming a pilot, every year we hear of rich people crashing their helicopters.

Maybe there should be stricter driving tests for helicopter pilots and more regular flying hours to keep the skills up ?

Milan.

scooterscot
16th September 2007, 08:35
Jesus,

Lesson for us all, if we ever become rich don't get delusions of having a helicopter and becoming a pilot, every year we hear of rich people crashing their helicopters.

Maybe there should be stricter driving tests for helicopter pilots and more regular flying hours to keep the skills up ?

Milan.

I was having similar thoughts, the stats of rich folks crashing in these machines must be pretty high against professional piliots -

BoredBloke
16th September 2007, 09:28
I think the reason why these rich people die in helicopters is because poor people tend not to own them.

Very sad all the same

scooterscot
16th September 2007, 09:33
So being poor reduces your exposure to risk - I like that - applying for my old job in Tesco's, you should see the mean age of those folks working in my local :rolleyes:

BoredBloke
16th September 2007, 09:44
Nope - that isn't what I said. Being poor tends to exclude you from the owning a helicopter brigade. As such, any crash would tend to involve rich helicopter owners and their mates - their mates could be poor though.

It's the same with expensive sports cars - you tend to find rich people driving these also, unless it has been nicked.

Cooperinliverp00l
16th September 2007, 17:33
RIP Colin....watched him in many rally's and he was awsome. Big shock to me

VectraMan
16th September 2007, 19:02
Bloody hell, they're dropping like flies (the helicopters that is):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/6997784.stm

scooterscot
16th September 2007, 20:24
It's to be expected, the poor don't fly and the gap to between rich and poor has grown:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6997145.stm

Nu Labour are to blame...

KathyWoolfe
17th September 2007, 08:00
Jesus,

Milan.

Yet Noel Edmonds has been piloting his own helicopter for years!

daviejones
17th September 2007, 08:01
Shame, he was a nice guy and to think his son perished also is extremely sorry news!!!

Churchill
17th September 2007, 08:57
Jesus,

Milan.

MB, personally, I don't think this one was "Pilot Error".

Churchill - In "RIP" mode.

gingerjedi
17th September 2007, 08:58
I was having similar thoughts, the stats of rich folks crashing in these machines must be pretty high against professional piliots -

People in the flying community said he was a good a pilot as he was a rally driver, I would imagine if you have a good aptitude for driving this would be true.

Far more likely a mechanical fault from the relatively cheap chopper (only 500k), pro's tend to fly more expensive and sturdier kit.

Troll
17th September 2007, 08:59
People in the flying community said he was a good a pilot as he was a rally driver, I would imagine if you have a good aptitude for driving this would be true.

Far more likely a mechanical fault from the relatively cheap chopper (only 500k), pro's tend to fly more expensive and sturdier kit.But don't choppers auto gyrate safely to the ground in the event of mechanical problems?

Churchill
17th September 2007, 09:00

Far more likely a mechanical fault from the relatively cheap chopper (only 500k), pro's tend to fly more expensive and sturdier kit.

When did you get your PPL(H)?

Churchill
17th September 2007, 09:07
But don't choppers auto gyrate safely to the ground in the event of mechanical problems?

Nope, the pilot "safely performs" an "auto-rotation"...

Given sufficient height and momentum in the main rotor...

However, if there is a catastrophic seizure on the wrong side of the sprag-clutch, you're bolloxed.

Anyway, let's wait for the official report.

gingerjedi
17th September 2007, 09:13
When did you get your PPL(H)?

I haven’t it was on the 'noos'... I spent 12 years building bits for helicopters so I do have a slight interest.

I'm learning to sail as it’s much cheaper... or at least I thought it would be.:rolleyes:

Churchill
17th September 2007, 09:16
I haven’t it was on the 'noos'... I spent 12 years building bits for helicopters so I do have a slight interest.

I'm learning to sail as it’s much cheaper... or at least I thought it would be.:rolleyes:

Condolences.

A word to the wise, buy your bits and spares from B & Q or Wickes, the local chandlery has you by the bollox!

Churchill
17th September 2007, 09:21
Definition of a boat: a hole in the water you pour money into...:D

The two best moments of boat ownership.

The Day you buy the boat.
The day you sell it!

Sysman
17th September 2007, 09:25
The two best moments of boat ownership.

The Day you buy the boat.
The day you sell it!

:) Rich boat owner is an oxymoron.

Churchill
17th September 2007, 09:28
:) Rich boat owner is an oxymoron.

It's still cheaper than getting divorced...

Churchill
17th September 2007, 09:29
A bit like "living private helicopter owner"...

Oh really...