• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Development time for ASP.NET shopping site ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Development time for ASP.NET shopping site ?

How long ( very roughly ) it takes to create an ASP.NET based shopping site - about 20 pages , ordering capability , storing data in SQL ?

Doing the coding won't take long but getting the security right is critical. Unless you want to do this for yourself then I'd probably look at adapting an existing cart or just use one of the commercially available carts (not necessarily .NET) like eBay where they directly support developers.

Comment

psst. We are contractors. The coding takes long ....

It will be built on MOSS.

There is to create libraries for products , create shop cart , manage downloads, ( you buy files from the libraries ) ( you download these products - they are files. ) .

Takes time

I've never done development , so I am asking to get an idea. The client’s expectations are tight , but I want to get my bite.
      Last edited by 2uk; 16 September 2007, 15:55.

Comment

I did one start to finish in 6 months (Java - Spring + Hibernate). Remember that there will (should) effectively be two sites. One that is presented to the public, and a catalogue management system for the administrators to add new products, change prices, change P&P costs, promote certain items etc. I found that getting the design and flow exactly the way the client wanted took a significant chunk of time, more than I expected. The catalogue management system ended up being more complex than I initially thought as well.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
          I did one start to finish in 6 months (Java - Spring + Hibernate). Remember that there will (should) effectively be two sites. One that is presented to the public, and a catalogue management system for the administrators to add new products, change prices, change P&P costs, promote certain items etc. I found that getting the design and flow exactly the way the client wanted took a significant chunk of time, more than I expected. The catalogue management system ended up being more complex than I initially thought as well.
          I agree with you. I am just trying to manage the client’s expectations. They thought , they can have that in 1 month…

It is not only coding , there is testing , then acceptance , then documenting. Takes time.

One of the things I have in my contract is a “Warranty clause”. In this regard , Microsoft updates will be my biggest enemy.
          Last edited by 2uk; 16 September 2007, 16:31.

Comment

charge for Warranty for 12 months and offer a maintainence thereafter

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
              One of the things I have in my contract is a “Warranty clause”. In this regard , Microsoft updates will be my biggest enemy.
              I gave them 12 months bug fixes for free. Any changes were chargable per hour.

They had the source and full documentation as well, so their in-house developers eventually took it over.
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
              X