• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sterling vs. Euro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sterling vs. Euro

Sterling is at a 52 week low against the euro presumably because the the debt-sodden UK economy seems a wee bit precarious at the moment.

I am planning on moving more of my hard-scammed cash out of Sterling but undecided over the rate/currency

I am sure there must be some experts on here who can offer some helpful, insightful advice - any thoughts?

BTW - I have already considered the scratchard option.

do you own research etc,

in my opinion the Euro is going to become the safe haven for everybody, people holding U$D and buying Euros

or course there is not much safer than CHF

and then AU

good luck.

Milan.

Comment

The Swiss Franc, Euro and Japanese Yen are good bets. The pound looks very precarious to me. Its been high for a long time, but I think the Bank of England's move into the mortgage market is not good for its credibility The Bradford & Bingley looks like it might also be taken over by the BOE. The pound is not only supported by gold reserves, but also Northern Rock's property portfolio. You could also try a money market fund. That should protect it.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 September 2007, 08:09.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        The Swiss Franc, Euro and Japanese Yen are good bets. The pound looks very precarious to me. Its been high for a long time, but I think the Bank of England's move into the mortgage market is not good for its credibility The Bradford & Bingley looks like it might also be taken over by the BOE. You could also try a money market fund. That should protect it.
        I agree with the precariousness of the pound (plus Milan's DYOR!) My cunning plan was to ride out the strong pound/high-interest rate scenario till the end of the year but recent event have made this a dodgy prooposition.

I guess I am concerned more about the timing - changing at 1.44 is bad in comparison to 1.50 but great in comparison to 1.30. I guess if I knew the answer I wouldn't be doing what I do for a living.

Comment

supported by gold reserves

weren't they sold off on the cheap a few years back?

Comment

The pound has fallen simply because the markets are betting that we have come to the end of rate rise cycle and the next move is down.
            They are right.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Strongest Currency’s in the world:

1. The Kuwaiti dinar
              2. The Maltese lira
              3. The Bahraini dinar

Not sure I would put my money there but they have been the strongest for some time (in terms of exchange rate etc)

Failing that barrels of oil would be a good bet
              "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                The pound has fallen simply because the markets are betting that we have come to the end of rate rise cycle and the next move is down.
                They are right.
                Plus they are expecting the ECB o,nterest rate to go up by the end of the year.

@rse, bùggér, bollox - I may have made a wee timing error.

Comment

Maltese lira it is then!
                  "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    1. and 3. are in the fallout zone...
                    there is no fallout free zone

Comment

Working...
                    X