• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just got to check - ir35 question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got to check - ir35 question

I'm about to change accountants - I'm moving to Nixon Williams. My previous accountant was really slow in setting everything up so I had to change.

I told them that I wanted to go with someone who specializes in IT Contracts and someone who knew a thing or 2 about ir35.

They said "Well, all your contracts will fall inside IR35 anyway so there's no advantage of going with a different acocuntant".

I said that I'd heard that many contracts fall outside IR35 but they said "If you operate outside IR35, they'll catch up with you eventually and you'll have to pay it"

Now - I'm assuming that they just dont know much about IR35 and it would still be worth going with someone who works with IT contractors?

I'm getting fed up with hearing so many conflicting bits of information...

NW are very good and I can't recommend them enough. However they won't advise you on the IR35 status of your contracts - it's down to you to tell them whether you consider you are caught or not.

IR35 status is down to working practices as well as the contract. You'll need to make your own (hopefully informed - get your contracts reviewed etc) call as to the status of each contract you take and then advise you accountants accordingly.

HTH
    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Thanks - that's what understood to be the case. I just didn't want to go with an accountant who just says that ALL contracts are inside - I could potentially loose out on a load of monay that way.

Comment

Malvolio will be along in a minute to sort you out.

Drop your original accountant and tell them that, as accountants, they should know better.

Read the guides on here and the PCG web site if you want more info.
        Join the PCG (get plus) and avail yourself of the assistance and knowledge base within. It is worth the 250 quid.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

If they convince you that you are always IR35 caught, then it makes their job easier to do.

A friend of mine has always paid it, based on his accountant telling him that this was the best course of action (once he heard that he could still claim 5% expenses!).
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If they convince you that you are always caught, they are being professionally negligent by not giving you the best available impartial advice...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
            X