• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news and myth busting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news and myth busting

I started a course of Antibiotics on Monday. Got a bit of a night out on Wednesday so was concerned about not being able to drink.
    Checked the leaflets with the antibiotics... no warnings about not drinking.
    Checked NHS direct and they say its fine.

where the hell did the no alcohol with antibiotics come from? everyone i know seems to stick to it religously!
    Coffee's for closers

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I started a course of Antibiotics on Monday. Got a bit of a night out on Wednesday so was concerned about not being able to drink.

where the hell did the no alcohol with antibiotics come from? everyone i know seems to stick to it religously!
    Depends on the antibiotic, I think.

Comment

The antibiotics for infections 'down there' were specifically designed to be impervious to alchohol
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

It is still true in some cases, and even when no side effects it does say drinking in 'moderation', which by current definitions is probably 2 pints or a glass or two of wine. Side effects happen in very small numbers of the population anyway, so it's largely the drug manufacturers protecting themselves (or the less cynical might say protecting the public)

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...?articleId=871
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

My GP once told me that it was a myth based on the fact that Alcohol *may* slightly reduce the effectiveness of antibiotics but that's all.

Comment

You were at least prudent to check!
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Just asked the doctor sat opposite me. One or two antibiotics - you should absolutely avoid alcohol. Otherwise, the effect of alcohol on the liver may depress the metabolisation of the antibiotic and hence its efficacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                It is still true in some cases, and even when no side effects it does say drinking in 'moderation', which by current definitions is probably 2 pints or a glass or two of wine.
                You're out of touch, Baggy. More than four units in one sitting (and for anything other than the pissiest beer two pints is 4-5 units at least) is classed by the government as a binge.

And they wonder why no one takes them seriously.

Mind you, the government is based in the soft southern parts of the country so maybe a couple of swifties after work is all they can handle?
                I'm Spartacus.

Comment

If you drink enough alcohol you don't need antibiotics.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                    You're out of touch, Baggy. More than four units in one sitting (and for anything other than the pissiest beer two pints is 4-5 units at least) is classed by the government as a binge.

And they wonder why no one takes them seriously.

Mind you, the government is based in the soft southern parts of the country so maybe a couple of swifties after work is all they can handle?
                    I keep tellin yer, it's only binge drinking if you stop!
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X