PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen a ghost?

ChimpMaster
18th September 2007, 15:07
:confused:

wobbegong
18th September 2007, 15:19
I thought I did. Many years ago, motorcycling from Dunkirk to Calais in the small hours (at night, and it was raining) I thought I saw a figure walk across the road a yard or two in front of the bike. I slammed the brakes on as much as you can in the wet without ending up horizontal (I had a young lady, the current Mrs. W) riding pillion. I was pretty shaken up by it, , probably more by the thought that I'd nearly dropped the bike.

Old Greg
18th September 2007, 15:23
No

sasguru
18th September 2007, 15:39
No. Next ...

Moscow Mule
18th September 2007, 15:42
Said out loud,

"Grandma, if you're listening, let us know"

5 Seconds later, washing machine door opens and floods water all over the floor.

Cheers Grandma.

BoredBloke
18th September 2007, 15:46
My brother thinks he did when he was little. An old woman in the fields behind our house - other people had claimed to see her also on other occasions.

He was only about 8 or 9 and had got up in the night to use the loo. He had to walk past the window overlooking the field on the way. He says he saw an old woman and she was kind of lit up. He screamed like a girl.

The next night he screamed even more as my mum brought one of her shop dummies out of her shop home and we dressed it up to look like an old woman and then sat it on the bog before going to bed. In the middle of the night he headed off to the loo and screamed somewhat more when he turned the light on.

The Lone Gunman
18th September 2007, 15:48
My brother thinks he did when he was little. An old woman in the fields behind our house - other people had claimed to see her also on other occasions.

He was only about 8 or 9 and had got up in the night to use the loo. He had to walk past the window overlooking the field on the way. He says he saw an old woman and she was kind of lit up. He screamed like a girl.

The next night he screamed even more as my mum brought one of her shop dummies out of her shop home and we dressed it up to look like an old woman and then sat it on the bog before going to bed. In the middle of the night he headed off to the loo and screamed somewhat more when he turned the light on.Your mum has got a hell of a sense of humour surprised he didnt shit himself there and then. Cruel gits. LOL.

Swiss Tony
18th September 2007, 15:51

The next night he screamed even more as my mum brought one of her shop dummies out of her shop home and we dressed it up to look like an old woman and then sat it on the bog before going to bed. In the middle of the night he headed off to the loo and screamed somewhat more when he turned the light on.

Have we done this before? I swear I have already read that!

DBA_bloke
18th September 2007, 15:52
"Anyone ever seen a ghost?"

No, of course not: they don't exist. A bit like unicorns, pixies, elves and honest pimps. Enid Blyton has a lot to answer for.

xoggoth
18th September 2007, 15:54
Yeh, several times, however, it always seemed to happen when I was under some stress like approaching finals or something so doubt was real. During A levels I watched a strange matted furry thing with two tails floating slowly through the air for about a minute. Nobody with me saw anything.

Only thing harder to dismiss was a child's voice babbling in the air in front of me, harder to dismiss because two of us heard it.

King Cnvt
18th September 2007, 16:12
Said out loud,

"Grandma, if you're listening, let us know"

5 Seconds later, washing machine door opens and floods water all over the floor.

Cheers Grandma.

You think putting your Grandma in the washing machine is funny do you? :mad ****

ThomasSoerensen
18th September 2007, 16:16
"Anyone ever seen a ghost?"

No, of course not: they don't exist. A bit like unicorns, pixies, elves and honest pimps. Enid Blyton has a lot to answer for.

remember to include "God" in that list next time.

Moscow Mule
18th September 2007, 16:17
You think putting your Grandma in the washing machine is funny do you? :mad ****
:rollin:

Moose423956
18th September 2007, 16:31
Already posed the question. Linkypoos (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/19414-spooky.html)

ChimpMaster
19th September 2007, 08:37
I don't believe in ghosts either, but we appear to have had a spirit visit our house last Thursday. Very very weird feeling and no one in the house is comfortable with this any more.

BoredBloke
19th September 2007, 08:52
We had a load of odd things happen in a 6 week period after the previous owner of our farm popped his clogs. It went on until his wife moved out of the area. Things like lights switching themselves on etc

DBA_bloke
19th September 2007, 10:06
Burn 'im, burn 'im...

Next thing you know he'll be saying that Giant Alien Lizards don't exist & I'll disappear in a puff of smoke...:frown

Giant Alien Lizards don't exist.

DBA_bloke
19th September 2007, 10:07
remember to include "God" in that list next time.

Where did the Universe come from, then? eBay?

Andy2
19th September 2007, 10:38
Where did the Universe come from, then? eBay?

where did god come from ?

Moose423956
19th September 2007, 10:41
Did God create ebay? Or was it Allah?

DBA_bloke
19th September 2007, 11:30
where did god come from ?

God comes from Oxfordshire, of course; Satan is from Woking.

al_cam
19th September 2007, 13:25
I once saw a dog running past my bathroom door, I was sober, not on drugs or sleepy. I thought a dog had managed to get inside the house. When I rushed to catch it, it wasn't there... A ghost dog? I don't believe in that sort of mumbo jumbo, but I can't explain it. I found out later that a previous owner of my home used to breed the same type of dog that I saw.

Even stranger, in the same house, both my wife and I watched a full glass of wine moving across the table on its own. I can't explain that one either. (and yes, we were both sober etc)

We also occasionally smell pipe smoke and it turns out that the previous owner used to smoke a pipe. He lived in the house for 50 years, not sure if he died here, but certainly had the heart attack that eventually killed him here. We are so used to it that when we smell it we say out loud "hello Mr Cowie" (yes, his name was Mr Cowie)

Al.

DBA_bloke
19th September 2007, 13:34
I once saw a dog running past my bathroom door, I was sober, not on drugs or sleepy. I thought a dog had managed to get inside the house. When I rushed to catch it, it wasn't there... A ghost dog? I don't believe in that sort of mumbo jumbo, but I can't explain it. I found out later that a previous owner of my home used to breed the same type of dog that I saw.

Even stranger, in the same house, both my wife and I watched a full glass of wine moving across the table on its own. I can't explain that one either. (and yes, we were both sober etc)

We also occasionally smell pipe smoke and it turns out that the previous owner used to smoke a pipe. He lived in the house for 50 years, not sure if he died here, but certainly had the heart attack that eventually killed him here. We are so used to it that when we smell it we say out loud "hello Mr Cowie" (yes, his name was Mr Cowie)

Al.

He's living in your loft, I think you'll find.

wobbegong
19th September 2007, 14:12
We are so used to it that when we smell it we say out loud "hello Mr Cowie".

Next time try shouting "F*** 0** Cowie, ya dead tw@", (just to see if anything untoward happens as a result, and for a bit of a laugh). :)

ChimpMaster
19th September 2007, 14:27
Next time try shouting "F*** 0** Cowie, ya dead tw@", (just to see if anything untoward happens as a result, and for a bit of a laugh). :)

Apparently if you do ask them go away - nicely I might add - they will go and will not return to bother you. If you then ask them to return, they will, but so will other ghosts who would have viewed your expression as an open invitation.

Chugnut
19th September 2007, 14:29

I suppose that's the approach they'd have to take for the exorcism if they were running a pub, what with the smoking ban and all, they could get into real trouble.

wobbegong
19th September 2007, 14:33
This whole question of 'ghosts' opens up a wider debate about 'life after death'. Leaving aside the religious angle on this for a moment, if they do exist then it doesn't say much for the afterlife, does it? Hanging around, slamming the odd door and flicking a light switch now and again. What's the point of that?

Moscow Mule
19th September 2007, 14:38
This whole question of 'ghosts' opens up a wider debate about 'life after death'. Leaving aside the religious angle on this for a moment, if they do exist then it doesn't say much for the afterlife, does it? Hanging around, slamming the odd door and flicking a light switch now and again. What's the point of that?

You'd be able to go and haunt people who had pissed you off, that could be a benefit.

wobbegong
19th September 2007, 14:47
Playing with their lights isn't really 'revenge' though, is it? It's mildly irritating.

Moscow Mule
19th September 2007, 14:50
Playing with their lights isn't really 'revenge' though, is it? It's mildly irritating.

Ok, you could "mildly irritate" people who had pissed you off in a former life.Maybe if you're a really angry ghost you could do more nasty things like throwing vases around rooms, or maybe turning into a 50 metre tequila worm.

Will Self wrote quite a good novel about the after-life. Can't remember the title now but it was quite good,

al_cam
19th September 2007, 15:00
He's living in your loft, I think you'll find.

Like that Japanese film The Grudge?

Nah - I converted the loft so he can't be there.

DBA_bloke
19th September 2007, 15:01
Like that Japanese film The Grudge?

Nah - I converted the loft so he can't be there.

Under the bed? Hopefully not in it.

DBA_bloke
19th September 2007, 15:07
Considering that the number of dead folk is vastly greater than the number of living folk, and that ghost pets have been seen, etc. Why the fook isn't the planet teeming with phantasms, sprectres, etc.? Because there is no such thing as a ghost, but the loony bins are never empty. Draw your own conclusions.

King Cnvt
19th September 2007, 15:20
It is believed that 106,000,000,000 people have died over the course of history. If 1 in a million become ghosts, that's still a lot of ghosts!

wendigo100
19th September 2007, 22:13
I've seen a ghost. This fit bird down the pub. I asked her for some rough and tumble and she simply disappeared without a trace. Spooky.

al_cam
20th September 2007, 07:07

No need for that - he wasn't a recruitment agent.

al_cam
20th September 2007, 07:16
The one with someone who used to be famous as Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

And someone even more obscure who used to be an Alien (always a good thing).

Yes, same film, but the Japanese original is actually quite scary.

Bwana
20th November 2009, 20:20
In one of my more idle moments (when I was between jobs in 2005), I spent a few hours searching the web for pictures of ghosts. Now with the web being so hugely popular by then, I could find information on just about anything I was interested in. With so many millions (billions?) of people using the web, I'd have thought that there would be some pretty good stuff on there, as regards pictures of ghosts. However, there were very few decent (in my opinion obviously) pictures that looked like they could be real ghosts.

Does the lack of convincing images of ghosts on the web add weight to the argument that ghosts don't actually exist? Another angle is that maybe they exist but cannot be photographed?

I shouldn't be thinking about stuff like this. I live on my own and will probably just tulip myself up! Then again, it's such a fascinating subject.

Cheers,

RichardCranium
20th November 2009, 20:28
Does the lack of convincing images of ghosts on the web add weight to the argument that ghosts don't actually exist?"Add weight to the argument"?

That suggests that it is necessary to prove they do not exist. I would suggest the argument is the other way around: prove they do exist.

You will never gather sufficient evidence to prove they do not exist. That's silly.

(And none to prove they do, either.)

Bwana
20th November 2009, 20:37
"Add weight to the argument"?

That suggests that it is necessary to prove they do not exist. I would suggest the argument is the other way around: prove they do exist.

You will never gather sufficient evidence to prove they do not exist. That's silly.

(And none to prove they do, either.)

Have you ever heard the phrase "If you believe in nothing, you'll fall for anything!" ?

MrMark
20th November 2009, 20:43
I've often wondered if I could spend the night in a graveyard without losing self-control. I suspect not; I've started to imagine things merely walking through a graveyard at dusk. Stupid really, I know.:rolleyes:

RichardCranium
20th November 2009, 20:51
I've often wondered if I could spend the night in a graveyard without losing self-control. I suspect not; I've started to imagine things merely walking through a graveyard at dusk. Stupid really, I know.:rolleyes:I have done an overnight vigil in a church over the coffin of an old friend. So I know I won't crack.

But a bit of advice from RadMac (2010: International Year of Radcliffe and Maconie http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/the-radcliffe-and-maconie-show/) went something like this:

"If you think you don't believe in ghosts then put a chair in the doorway of a room at night facing into the room. Turn all the lights off in the house except those in the room. Sit on the chair facing the lit room with the dark house behind you in complete silence for one hour. At some point during that hour, you will realise you DO believe in ghosts."

EternalOptimist
20th November 2009, 20:52
I've often wondered if I could spend the night in a graveyard without losing self-control. I suspect not; I've started to imagine things merely walking through a graveyard at dusk. Stupid really, I know.:rolleyes:

<joke>
I got really really pished one night. took the shortcut home through the churchyard, and drunk as i was , fell in to a freshly dug grave.

Tried for an hour to get out - no chance
Tried to phone for help - no signal
Shouted and screamed - nothing.

So I curled up in the bottom of the pit and tried to get some sleep. Ten minutes later another drunk came staggereing along and fell in, right on top of me.
After watching him trying to scramble out for ten minutes, I took pity on him, stood up, tapped him on the shoulder and said 'YOU'LL NEVER GET OUT OF HERE'

but he did.

<joke>

:rolleyes:

TimberWolf
20th November 2009, 20:58
Has anyone ever felt the hairs on the back of their heads stand on end?

Bwana
20th November 2009, 21:03
Maybe there are ghosts everywhere, but only a tiny fraction of the population are able to see/sense them?

Anyone know anything about "dimensional overlap"?

EternalOptimist
20th November 2009, 21:04
Has anyone ever felt the hairs on the back of their heads stand on end?

not for about 15 years

RichardCranium
20th November 2009, 21:38
Maybe there are ghosts everywhere, but only a tiny fraction of the population are able to see/sense them?You are probably right. I should not be surprised if the number of such people is approaching statistical significance.

Anyone know anything about "dimensional overlap"?You wanted ghost photos but didn't stumble across these people (http://photos1.ghostweb.com/shuggins1.html)?

Bwana
20th November 2009, 21:44
You are probably right. I should not be surprised if the number of such people is approaching statistical significance.

You wanted ghost photos but didn't stumble across these people (http://photos1.ghostweb.com/shuggins1.html)?

It was 2005 when I did my comprehensive search of the web for ghost pics. That webpage you linked to was copyright 2006 so looks like it wasn't available when I searched. I'm just surprised that with the web being so massive nowadays that it still seems hard to find 'realistic' pictures. Then again, with image editing software, how could I ever tell what is 'real' and what isn't?!

SuperZ
20th November 2009, 21:52
No, but when I was a teen my mother told me how she heard her own mother`s voice when she died, calling out to her. Some years later I was 200 miles away and heard someone call my name at the same time my gran deid - I didn`t know until the next morning officially that she had passed away at approx the same time I heard the voice.

Not at all religious but the last few years I`ve have had a number of experiences that have made me think someone is trying to tell me something.

Don`t think I believe in ghosts but our minds and brains are not fully understood today. IN the case of my gran, I knew she was ill and unlikely to recover, did my mind just kind of calculate when she would die based on the input it received and due to the known loss, create some kind of connection with the death? Thinking granny Z communicated my name to me when I was 200 miles away is easier to handle than knowing she had just died and I`d never see/hear again and I wasn`t there.

And have the experiences over the last year actually just been coincdences but my mind is seeing otherwise because deep inside I want a change in my life?
As a kid I used to get deja vu a lot :)

RichardCranium
20th November 2009, 21:52
Maybe ghosts couldn't be picked up by film but can by the CCDs in digital cameras so that's why there are 'photos now but not before 2005.

TimberWolf
20th November 2009, 22:05
Maybe ghosts couldn't be picked up by film but can by the CCDs in digital cameras so that's why there are 'photos now but not before 2005.

I take it you are joking/drunk?

BA to the Stars
20th November 2009, 22:10
I've encountered a few spirits in the pub :freaky:

IGMC

Bwana
20th November 2009, 22:19
I take it you are joking/drunk?

I too thought that RC was joking (or taking the pi55) when I first read his comment about ccd's and photos before 2005. But then it occured to me that mobile phones with cameras have only really become commonplace in the last few years, and I would imagine that phone-cameras are far more common than cameras (that are just a camera and nothing else), and also, a person is more likely to be carrying a phone-camera than a camera, so it could massively increase the chances of someone capturing an image of a ghost.

TimberWolf
20th November 2009, 22:24
I too thought that RC was joking (or taking the pi55) when I first read his comment about ccd's and photos before 2005. But then it occured to me that mobile phones with cameras have only really become commonplace in the last few years, and I would imagine that phone-cameras are far more common than cameras (that are just a camera and nothing else), and also, a person is more likely to be carrying a phone-camera than a camera, so it could massively increase the chances of someone capturing an image of a ghost.

Yeah, and image editing software is a lot more common now too. Much easier than multiple exposures and all that messing around in a dark room.

RichardCranium
20th November 2009, 22:30
Film cameras require photons to hit the chemicals in the film and release their energy to change the chemical properties of the molecules on the film.

Digital cameras use the energy released to allow a cascade of electrons to run which are detected and taken to represent an image.

Maybe ghosts have an energy effect upon the CCD so that they register the image but no direct energy effect upon film.

It's a shame the search for the Loch Ness Monster mostly died out before digital cameras came along ... maybe Nessie is a ghost!

TimberWolf
20th November 2009, 22:54
Anyone having any luck with Friday the 13th in 3D? I'm getting too many light aberrations / reflections from the cheap specs to get the most out of it. Some parts look as though they'd work if the specs were a bit better though.

norrahe
20th November 2009, 22:54
This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound) was quite interesting in explaining certain things.

Zippy
20th November 2009, 23:23
Oh FFS - what have some of you been smoking? There is no credible evidence for the existence of ghosts.

norrahe
20th November 2009, 23:26
Oh FFS - what have some of you been smoking? There is no credible evidence for the existence of ghosts.

hence this (http://www.skepdic.com/infrasound.html)

EC4N
20th November 2009, 23:30

Perhaps not ghosts but try looking up 'Jinn'.

RichardCranium
20th November 2009, 23:31
Actually, what happens is that the little pixies inside the film cameras that do the drawings are well bred, fit and healthy.

However, the little pixies inside mobile phone cameras have their little brains fried by the radio signals and this makes them see weird things, like ghosts. So when they draw the digital image, they include these visions.

So that's why the web has pictures of ghosts now but didn't before.

norrahe
20th November 2009, 23:42
Actually, what happens is that the little pixies inside the film cameras that do the drawings are well bred, fit and healthy.

However, the little pixies inside mobile phone cameras have their little brains fried by the radio signals and this makes them see weird things, like ghosts. So when they draw the digital image, they include these visions.

So that's why the web has pictures of ghosts now but didn't before.

it's all about PIXIES (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGXdXcpNsv4) not ghosts, wow, that explains everything.:smokin

Zippy
20th November 2009, 23:43

Brrrr dum. Tssschhh. :D

norrahe
20th November 2009, 23:48

here ya go (hthttp://supernaturalfanwiki.wetpaint.com/page/Djinntp://)

eliquant
21st November 2009, 10:33
I don't believe that ghosts exist as consciouse entities - maybe they are simply distored sounds and images which are displaced in space and time which appear to give the illusion of some deliberate haunting.

I've never seen a ghost or heard strange noises or anything like that but once I was in a Wagamama's type restaurant and my small bowl of miso soup just slid to one side all by itself - I was shocked by this and started to experiment there and then trying to figure out if the table was slightly sloped, was the liquid soup moving at the time thus somehow moving the bowl (i.e. me moving the liquid or convection currents) finally I thought maybe I had developed telekenetic powers but sadly I realised that I hadn't and I was not going to be a superhero of any sort.

SantaClaus
21st November 2009, 12:02
I don't believe that ghosts exist as consciouse entities - maybe they are simply distored sounds and images which are displaced in space and time which appear to give the illusion of some deliberate haunting.

I've never seen a ghost or heard strange noises or anything like that but once I was in a Wagamama's type restaurant and my small bowl of miso soup just slid to one side all by itself - I was shocked by this and started to experiment there and then trying to figure out if the table was slightly sloped, was the liquid soup moving at the time thus somehow moving the bowl (i.e. me moving the liquid or convection currents) finally I thought maybe I had developed telekenetic powers but sadly I realised that I hadn't and I was not going to be a superhero of any sort.

Maybe you should have called the waiter and asked him to prop a bit of card under the wonky table leg ;)

wurzel
21st November 2009, 13:37
ISTR that there's a theory that these supernatural phenomena are actually recordings of past events being played out on some kind of ethereal videotape. There was a TV drama about this made back in the 70s by Nigel Kneale (of Quatermass fame). can't remember what it was called but it scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.

conned tractor
21st November 2009, 13:49

Was it a ghoulash?

EternalOptimist
21st November 2009, 14:39
Was it a ghoulash?

medium hot curry

conned tractor
22nd November 2009, 06:11
medium hot curry

I used a medium once to contact my naan.

NickFitz
22nd November 2009, 07:03
ISTR that there's a theory that these supernatural phenomena are actually recordings of past events being played out on some kind of ethereal videotape. There was a TV drama about this made back in the 70s by Nigel Kneale (of Quatermass fame). can't remember what it was called but it scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.

T. C. Lethbridge, an archaeologist from Cambridge University, was a great proponent of such theories. After his retirement in the late fifties he published a number of books on the subject which are worth looking out for. It's very likely that Nigel Kneale drew on Lethbridge's work, which was enjoying great renown in what came to be known as the Earth Mysteries movement at the time you speak of: Lethbridge believed there to be a definite connection between ley lines, Earth energies associated therewith detectable by dowsing, and those manifestations that were called ghosts.

By corollary, he concluded that spirits did not walk the Earth; it was just that we could under certain circumstances access the perceptions of others that had been imprinted on our surroundings, and that the perceptions so imprinted were likely to be ones associated with strong emotions such as terror - hence the fact that people often experience such emotions when experiencing these "action replays", for the imprint is (according to his theories) of the experience in all its human aspects, not merely of the sensory perceptions.

He also argued that this might be why certain places gain a reputation for being haunted, and many witnesses report similar phenomena in such places: where one person saw a real "lady in grey" in a context that made a profound impression upon them, they would leave an imprint of that experience on their surroundings. Later, when some person in a suitably sensitive state picked up on that impression and saw the "lady in grey" whilst also experiencing the profound emotions of the original person, yet all the time knowing that said lady was not in fact present and having no reason to experience such emotions, this itself would have such a profound impression as to leave its own mark on the surroundings; and so a feedback mechanism would establish itself, and others would later go through the same process.

I offer no opinion as to the validity of Lethbridge's theories, but he is a sufficiently interesting writer that I read a number of his books when I was in my teens, and have a couple on my shelves that I have since picked up in second-hand bookshops. His earlier ones are the best; towards the end of his life he started drifting off into some rather weird ideas involving evolution - he wasn't against evolution, but he developed some ideas concerning the teleology thereof, and of course there is no teleology of evolution :freaky:

eliquant
22nd November 2009, 08:35
T. C. Lethbridge, an archaeologist from Cambridge University, was a great proponent of such theories. After his retirement in the late fifties he published a number of books on the subject which are worth looking out for. It's very likely that Nigel Kneale drew on Lethbridge's work, which was enjoying great renown in what came to be known as the Earth Mysteries movement at the time you speak of: Lethbridge believed there to be a definite connection between ley lines, Earth energies associated therewith detectable by dowsing, and those manifestations that were called ghosts.

By corollary, he concluded that spirits did not walk the Earth; it was just that we could under certain circumstances access the perceptions of others that had been imprinted on our surroundings, and that the perceptions so imprinted were likely to be ones associated with strong emotions such as terror - hence the fact that people often experience such emotions when experiencing these "action replays", for the imprint is (according to his theories) of the experience in all its human aspects, not merely of the sensory perceptions.

He also argued that this might be why certain places gain a reputation for being haunted, and many witnesses report similar phenomena in such places: where one person saw a real "lady in grey" in a context that made a profound impression upon them, they would leave an imprint of that experience on their surroundings. Later, when some person in a suitably sensitive state picked up on that impression and saw the "lady in grey" whilst also experiencing the profound emotions of the original person, yet all the time knowing that said lady was not in fact present and having no reason to experience such emotions, this itself would have such a profound impression as to leave its own mark on the surroundings; and so a feedback mechanism would establish itself, and others would later go through the same process.

I offer no opinion as to the validity of Lethbridge's theories, but he is a sufficiently interesting writer that I read a number of his books when I was in my teens, and have a couple on my shelves that I have since picked up in second-hand bookshops. His earlier ones are the best; towards the end of his life he started drifting off into some rather weird ideas involving evolution - he wasn't against evolution, but he developed some ideas concerning the teleology thereof, and of course there is no teleology of evolution :freaky:

strange then that no-one ever sees a ghostly 'imprint' of a boss being axed to death in the work place (say from the 1940s in an old office used today); we see what we want to see and these visions do not get 'passed on' to other people I am pretty sure.

EternalOptimist
22nd November 2009, 09:07
being scientifically minded, I want to know what this 'imprint' is. How can it be measured, what happens if the surroundings are partially destroyed, does the lady in Grey lose half of her impact ?

What has always puzzled me about ghosts, is if they can walk through walls, why cant walls walk through them? i.e. why dont they get left behind when the earth moves through space.

Some of these ghosts occurred hundreds of years ago and millions upon millions of miles away

wobbegong
22nd November 2009, 13:42
being scientifically minded, I want to know what this 'imprint' is. How can it be measured, what happens if the surroundings are partially destroyed, does the lady in Grey lose half of her impact ?

What has always puzzled me about ghosts, is if they can walk through walls, why cant walls walk through them? i.e. why dont they get left behind when the earth moves through space.

Some of these ghosts occurred hundreds of years ago and millions upon millions of miles away

Good point, taking it to it's logical conclusion, why don't they fall through floors, or even the earth? Are they subject to gravity, if so the core of the earth could be choc-a-block with spooks.

Also some ghosts of animals have been reported over the years, you know the sort of stuff, headless man on a horse, a black dog on the moors, so if animals have ghosts, why are there no ghost dinosaurs, or insect ghosts. "Ooooh creepy, I saw a phantom earwig, it just crawled across the floor towards me and disappeared! Aaaarrrrggghhhh!" :eek

RichardCranium
22nd November 2009, 13:51
if animals have ghosts, why are there no ghost dinosaurs, or insect ghosts. "Ooooh creepy, I saw a phantom earwig, it just crawled across the floor towards me and disappeared! Aaaarrrrggghhhh!" :eek:eek:

I have long since lost count of the times I have said "Now where did that bloody great spider go?"

MrMark
22nd November 2009, 15:12
Good point, taking it to it's logical conclusion, why don't they fall through floors, or even the earth? Are they subject to gravity, if so the core of the earth could be choc-a-block with spooks.

So far as I'm aware, ghosts occur in the place where they met a gruesome death. So, if a wall or building has been erected in the time since their death, the ghost does not recognise the barrier as it didn't exist then, and so can be seen to pass through walls. The ghost however does not fall through the floor or Earth precisely because they didn't die beneath the earth.

Problem with this explanation though is this: Why are graveyards so frightening? There shouldn't be any ghosts there at all!

wobbegong
24th November 2009, 07:52
So far as I'm aware, ghosts occur in the place where they met a gruesome death. So, if a wall or building has been erected in the time since their death, the ghost does not recognise the barrier as it didn't exist then, and so can be seen to pass through walls. The ghost however does not fall through the floor or Earth precisely because they didn't die beneath the earth.

Problem with this explanation though is this: Why are graveyards so frightening? There shouldn't be any ghosts there at all!

So the sky above "Ground Zero" and Lockerbie should be peppered with spooks then?

MrMark
24th November 2009, 10:06
So the sky above "Ground Zero" and Lockerbie should be peppered with spooks then?

Well yes, if the theory is correct. Must be why no-one's ever reported seeing a Lockerbie ghost - must be true! :rolleyes:

jimjamuk
24th November 2009, 10:46
My little lad passed away in our house in 2003 and for a while now my wife and I catch my daughter who is now 4 having conversations and playing with him. Other imaginary friends come and go depending on new friends at school but the lad she plays with she insists is a boy with the same name as our little lad

Dont really know what to do when it happens - do you try to put her off doing it or treat it as if its just normal?

as for ghosts I'm a bit of a fence sitter but the wife insists that there is something in our house....

NotAllThere
24th November 2009, 12:14
...Other imaginary friends come and go depending on new friends at school but the lad she plays with she insists is a boy with the same name as our little lad

Dont really know what to do when it happens - do you try to put her off doing it or treat it as if its just normal?

<...snip...>

Probably just a grief processing mechanism - so long as it doesn't get morbid.

MrMark
26th November 2009, 19:38
22,000 ghosts found in Dehli.

spooky looky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8380010.stm)

Netraider
26th November 2009, 20:42
In the early 90s I was doing a fuel tank change on an army helicopter. I was working in an old luftwaffe hangar in Berlin. About 3 in the morning I went to make coffee for myself and a colleague who was working on the same job.

While waiting for the kettle to boil I heard footsteps coming down the corridor, past the kitchen. Whoever walked passed the kitchen then went into the toolstore at the end of the corridor. Thinking my colleague was in there I took the coffees to the toolstore to find the door locked, and my colleague still in the hangar working.

Not a good feeling, as my colleague had heard what he thought was me in the toolstore.

I don't know about seeing or believing in ghosts, but I never worked overnight again in that hangar

RichardCranium
27th November 2009, 06:54
This has been buggng me all night.

My little lad passed away in our house in 2003 and for a while now my wife and I catch my daughter who is now 4 having conversations and playing with him. Other imaginary friends come and go depending on new friends at school but the lad she plays with she insists is a boy with the same name as our little lad.

Dont really know what to do when it happens - do you try to put her off doing it or treat it as if its just normal?It is perfectly normal for young children to have imaginary friends, especially when playing by themselves. They are going through a transition from "the world consists of me" through "bugger me - some of the big moving objects appear to be sentient" to "damn, these others seem to expect to have rights too and I have to negotiate to get what I want".

Part of this may - depending upon experience - include comprehension of why some of those objects the child interacts with go away and not come back.

For examples, my wife's family have two well-told stories about this. One is my sister-in-law when 4 lining all her dollies up and, in conjunction with her imaginary friend, in a very serious voice explaining grandad won't be coming back because God needed him to do some things for him. Her imaginary friend lasted until she was 10 when she suddenly discovered boys; the friend then disappeared overnight.

My wife's cousin had a 'friend' that stayed with her until she turned 13, although, according to her mother, the 'friend' re-aappeared to go with her to university. This cousin lost her grandmother seemingly without any effect. But a couple of weeks later, one of the goldfish died and the 'friend' was terribly upset and the cousin had quite a struggle explaining to her 'friend' about death and why the imaginary friend's granny/goldfish was still alive in Heaven yet couldn't come back. The 'friend' had been bottling up the emotion, confusion and fear and acted as the conduit for this to be expressed and addressed.

Having imaginary friends is perfectly normal child development behaviour. It is primarily about the child developing the social skills we need to cope in society. It also provides some company to a lonely child, and an excuse for not doing things, being afraid and other emotional displacement benefits.

That your daughter has picked up on you both talking about a little boy that you can see and she cannot - is it at all surprising that she is mimicking your behaviour? Provided she is not made to feel second-best to the boy she can never compete with, there is the chance she will grow up better for knowing she had a brother she never knew.

So, jimjamuk, don't worry. It is normal and healthy behaviour. She will grow out of it when she's good and ready. Now stop reading here. The next bit isn't for you.

Maybe it's not an imaginary friend. Perhaps it's real. And maybe it's not a friend - perhaps it's pretending to be your little lad for evil purposes.That was shitty and nasty. If you believe that - which I am sure you do not - then you must equally believe in the bollocks the Spiritualists come out with: that the little boy could be coming back to play with his sister to make her happy. But it's not, it is all bollocks.

Although I only have 2nd-hand experience of it, I can see that parents really struggle to cope with the death of a child and I've yet to meet one that has got over it. To suggest their dead child should come back to haunt the next child is a horrific suggestion to make to them and I think that was very cruel and hurtful. And part of the reason for my reaction is that I was surprised it was you posting such a thing; it seems quite out of character of you to do so.

EternalOptimist
27th November 2009, 08:03
This has been buggng me all night.

It is perfectly normal for young children to have imaginary friends, especially when playing by themselves. They are going through a transition from "the world consists of me" through "bugger me - some of the big moving objects appear to be sentient" to "damn, these others seem to expect to have rights too and I have to negotiate to get what I want".

Nice post RC.
My youngest daughter couldn't be bothered with an imaginary friend, she had an imaginary universe.
When she was three, I told her we were going to the seaside for a few days, to play in the sand and see the Ocean. She looked at me sweetly and asked me 'Is that in this world dad, or the other one ?'
The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. But it was cute at the same time. When I asked her about the other world a couple of years later , she couldn't remember a thing. It seems to have been a passing chilhood phase

RichardCranium
27th November 2009, 08:38
My youngest daughter couldn't be bothered with an imaginary friend, she had an imaginary universe. She looked at me sweetly and asked me 'Is that in this world dad, or the other one ?'Out of nothing other than nosey curiosity and to feed my amateur psychology, was that before or after your wife died?

EternalOptimist
27th November 2009, 08:47
Out of nothing other than nosey curiosity and to feed my amateur psychology, was that before or after your wife died?

It was about 5 years before (but the lady who died was not the childs mum, and they never met).

too many wives, too many kids. its all so complicated:(

RichardCranium
27th November 2009, 08:59
its all so complicatedGood. The older I get, the more I reckon life should be too complicated.

(So what I'm doing wasting time posting on here, I don't know!)

NotAllThere
27th November 2009, 10:02

That was tulipty and nasty... Not intended to be, but on reflection, misjudged. It wasn't an attempt at humour either. Bear in mind, this is a discussion about ghosts and the woo "spirit world". Apologies for offence and distress caused.

fwiw, I've known people whose imaginary friends turned out to be anything other than "friends". Constructs of imagination or "spiritual entities", that plague people in later life. It's not common, but it does happen. It needs keeping an eye on. Not something to worry about, per se, but not something to dismiss out of hand.

jimjamuk
27th November 2009, 10:03
Thanks RC - nice to get someone elses perspective on it and yes we try to treat it as normal when it happens. This imaginary friend just happens to have the same name but he's not really there.

As for the other comments it water off a ducks back on these forums (and I've seen some really offensive posts on these boards over the years), down the pub though and it would have been a broken nose at the very least......

RichardCranium
27th November 2009, 10:13
Not intended to be:hug:

Thanks RC:hug:

Virtual beers all round at lunchtime, I reckon.