PDA

View Full Version : That explains it

Troll
18th September 2007, 18:09
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/career_and_jobs/article2456531.ece

Are you irritable when you return from work? Drained of emotion? Do you stare blankly at the wall of your living room?

You could be suffering not from burnout but from boreout, which could soon become the fashionable new office disease. “We estimate that 15 per cent of office staff are on the way to boreout,” said Peter Werder, the co-author of a management book outlining the perils of the condition. “They are seriously underchallenged.”

Many workers are so ill at ease in the office that they spend a large part of the day simulating work. That generates more negative stress than excessive working. The result is serious but hidden depression in the office.

bored
18th September 2007, 18:27
I'm a chronic sufferer.

scooterscot
18th September 2007, 18:29
I work from home, how do I know if I'm effected?

swamp
18th September 2007, 19:11

:spel

affected

Sysman
18th September 2007, 19:13

One symptom is that your spelling takes a hit.

PS That should be affected there.

NoddY
18th September 2007, 19:29

affected

disaffected!

MrRobin
18th September 2007, 20:11
Good God. It's like the author of this article has read my thoughts and been secretly watching my daily routines... this is me all over, I agree with every part. I answered 'Yes' to all the questions, except perhaps number 8 but then even that one is a 'maybe'.

Spacecadet
18th September 2007, 20:39
I get boreout too... suffering from it midely on my current contract.

The advantage of being a contractor though means I can work at home when i want to (ie swap boreout for burnout) and I've let my other clients know that my availability is slightly better than normal at the moment so i can swap charging one client for boring me to another client who has a use for me for a couple of days at a time.

Spacecadet
19th September 2007, 08:19
just goes to show how relavent the film Office Space is

hyperD
19th September 2007, 08:25

The prolonged isolation would make you a high risk case. Trust me, I've been there, still doing it and wearing the T-shirt.

KathyWoolfe
19th September 2007, 11:18
just goes to show how relavent the film Office Space is

Relevant

Spacecadet
19th September 2007, 11:39

Relevant

Meh :smokin