• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That explains it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That explains it

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle2456531.ece
    Are you irritable when you return from work? Drained of emotion? Do you stare blankly at the wall of your living room?

You could be suffering not from burnout but from boreout, which could soon become the fashionable new office disease. “We estimate that 15 per cent of office staff are on the way to boreout,” said Peter Werder, the co-author of a management book outlining the perils of the condition. “They are seriously underchallenged.”

Many workers are so ill at ease in the office that they spend a large part of the day simulating work. That generates more negative stress than excessive working. The result is serious but hidden depression in the office.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

I'm a chronic sufferer.

Comment

I work from home, how do I know if I'm effected?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

affected
        Cats are evil.

Comment

One symptom is that your spelling takes a hit.

PS That should be affected there.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

affected

disaffected!

Comment

Good God. It's like the author of this article has read my thoughts and been secretly watching my daily routines... this is me all over, I agree with every part. I answered 'Yes' to all the questions, except perhaps number 8 but then even that one is a 'maybe'.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

I get boreout too... suffering from it midely on my current contract.

The advantage of being a contractor though means I can work at home when i want to (ie swap boreout for burnout) and I've let my other clients know that my availability is slightly better than normal at the moment so i can swap charging one client for boring me to another client who has a use for me for a couple of days at a time.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

just goes to show how relavent the film Office Space is
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

The prolonged isolation would make you a high risk case. Trust me, I've been there, still doing it and wearing the T-shirt.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X