• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why should the taxpayer be bailing-out Northern Rock?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why should the taxpayer be bailing-out Northern Rock?

Doesn't it just encourage more irresponsible lending?

I say let them fall.

Yes.

To be fair though, guaranteeing customer deposits is not the same as bailing out a failing bank. If NR run out of cash, the govt/courts can still dismantle it and sell piece by piece without affecting deposits.

Comment

It said on the BBC that the Government hadn't worked out exactly how they'd get hold of enough money to bail out Northern Rock if it was to collapse.

I think that in saying they'd bail them out, they were aiming towards putting the public's confidence back in NR, therefore preventing a collapse in the first place.

Comment

They aren't.

The BoE has guaranteed the deposits, if they need to, during the current world-wide financial market crisis.

Up until yesterday, NR hadn't even borrowed from BoE, let alone being bailed out by them.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Q: "Why should the taxpayer be bailing-out Northern Rock?"

A: To stop the economy going into a nosedive.

NR have done nothing that the other banks haven't done. NR used to get its cash from its banking world pals - only they are ALL feeling the pressure now, following-on from the Sub Prime thing, and so UK banks (some of them) don't really know what's on their books, and so are relucatnt to loan.

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
            NR have done nothing that the other banks haven't done. NR used to get its cash from its banking world pals - only they are ALL feeling the pressure now, following-on from the Sub Prime thing, and so UK banks (some of them) don't really know what's on their books, and so are relucatnt to loan.
            Bollox. A failure of NR does not mean the economy has to go into a nosedive. NR ran out of cash and had to borrow from the BoE but there are plenty of banks who have enough liquidity and who will happily pay for NR's obligations if they can get a good deal.

Comment

NR ran out of cash because all of the media reported the fact that they had organised a credit line as "NR borrowing cash from BoE"

The fact is that if the story had been reported responsibly, poor little old ladies with millions in NR wouldn't have felt the need to get their money and stuff it under the mattress, and NR wouldn't have had to use the credit line.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

On the subject of the bail-out, it's not really is it?

The government has said they will guarantee the deposits, what would happen if they had to pay up has not been reported (unless I've missed it). I assume it would involve NL acquiring the 8th biggest mortgage lender in the country.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The thing is the panic just makes it worse as everyone tries to withdraw their money, making a collapse more likely. Take your money out of the bank before the bank runs out of money!

eh?
                  Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    I assume it would involve NL acquiring the 8th biggest mortgage lender in the country.
                    I am not sure what exactly the laws say about the situation but I've always assumed that if a bank fails to pay up its obligations are split and sold to the highest bidder or as a a proportion (~90%?) of book value. The government probably can't acquire it because they don't have enough cash anyway...

Comment

Working...
                    X