• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How you deal with...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How you deal with...

Consultants from one of the big fives are on the same project, when I arrived they were supposed to be leaving and I was appointed to do some detailed work, however now that their contract is up they have stirred all kind of things (stir and investigate changes)to extend their stay for another month, and yesterday 5 of them spent the day doing stuff I am supposed to be doing and presented it in a meeting today - the programme manager said its best if I work with them on this am worried that they will exclude me from work and try to get one of their own to replace me, but not much I can do about it I have to work with them!!

Anyone has any advice?? I don't want to be obstructive because this is a good client, and even if the consultant manoeuvre me out of a role I would still like to be considered for other roles with the client.

I agree the best plan is to cooperate and just work with the consultancy, if they manoeuvre out of this role at least you'll leave with a good reputation and both client/consultancy may invite you back for work n the future.

P.S the above applies as long as they manoeuvre you out in an honourable way - if they start convincing the client that your work standards are not up to scratch then you are in trouble as you said not much you can do about it, just do your best

Comment

Originally posted by SouthRoute55 View Post
      Consultants from one of the big fives are on the same project, when I arrived they were supposed to be leaving and I was appointed to do some detailed work, however now that their contract is up they have stirred all kind of things (stir and investigate changes)to extend their stay for another month, and yesterday 5 of them spent the day doing stuff I am supposed to be doing and presented it in a meeting today - the programme manager said its best if I work with them on this am worried that they will exclude me from work and try to get one of their own to replace me, but not much I can do about it I have to work with them!!

Anyone has any advice?? I don't want to be obstructive because this is a good client, and even if the consultant manoeuvre me out of a role I would still like to be considered for other roles with the client.

Whatever will be will be, do your job invoice and relax, if they kick you out then they kick you out, you just move on and look for the next contract. That's life.

Comment

I'd say make sure you have your own work defined -agree that you will work on X and they will do Y. After all there is no point in duplicating. I'm sure the client will buy this.

Comment

Originally posted by jo99 View Post
          I'd say make sure you have your own work defined -agree that you will work on X and they will do Y. After all there is no point in duplicating. I'm sure the client will buy this.
          Have you worked with consultants from one of the big five before, been working with them myself for years, all they want to do is BS the client, they'd muscle in - I expect they would insist to the client that things should be done a specific way, define a solution strategy that only they know how to implement, then suggest that they have a SME on this case to replace me, which is BS cuz I happen to have worked with those monkey consultants before and know their tactics, I even saw them in some cases willing to do some consultancy work for a cut fixed price on the hope they'd get the client so attached and hooked thinking they'll never succeed in this project without their help, when they do realise that they'd been had by the consultancy, it would be too late, they would have wasted millions on some consultancy BS, scratch everything and start over !!

that's life. If you want the truth I think I have a better chance of staying on if I creep up to the consultants than the client – they seem to be able to manoeuvre the client anyway they want.
          Last edited by SouthRoute55; 19 September 2007, 20:12.

Comment

Yes I have worked with big5's - and would never work for them. Clients use them as a risk managment solution. They have no real skills to offer (apart from BS).
            I was thinking about 'control' and IR35 and making sure that you don't get excluded....

Comment

I've been in similar situations where the tulip5/4/3 are involved and couldn't disagree with anything said here.

Ideally you would have a strong enough relationship with the client to say what you think...however, as another respondee has pointed out they are often brought in as a risk management strategy and no-one really seems to care that they don't know sh!t, because at the end of the day the 'bank' can say 'but we got this big consultancy in and that's what they told us...' and the consultancy will cop it in the neck because they are bending over to lick the @rse of the clients.

My ex-bf worked alongside some of them also, he was with another not as well known consultancy and had some influence, we, as indpendent contractors have none, and I believe are used as scape-goats. The last time I worked with keep plenty meetings going, they stole my work, my ideas, my buzz words and the PM had never managed a project, ever!

I might be biased, I have worked for and with these so-called consultancies and I wouldn't p!ss on any of them to put out a fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                I believe are used as scape-goats. The last time I worked with keep plenty meetings going, they stole my work, my ideas, my buzz words and the PM had never managed a project, ever!

I might be biased, I have worked for and with these so-called consultancies and I wouldn't p!ss on any of them to put out a fire.
                I agree with your comments 100%, I know once I am in the cuntsultants team I'll be doing all the work and they'll be getting all the credit I'd have to work twice as many hours spending most of the day in useless meetings - and after hours documenting all the stupid meetings outcomes and actions (which no one reads anyway) and which is actually not part of my work.

I am still new on this contract so my relationship with the client is not strong enough yet for them to listen to my opinion.

I'll just have to wait and see what their tactics is going to be if they play dirty am just going to cut my losses and move on before the tulip hits the fan and while I am in a good position (i.e. before I get used as the scapegoat)

Comment

Take them to one side, and just growl "remember fellas, I know where you live."

Set the tone right that you won't tolerate crap from them, and it should be fine.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X