• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another ... First Contract Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another ... First Contract Interview

Hey there guys, another newbie gone through their first contract interview today. Just wanted to say thanks for all the advise people have posted on these boards. I have read so much useful information that has helped over the last week.

Interview went well i thought, lasted 45 odd minutes. Didn't stumble on any of the questions and I thought I did pretty well at answering. Had a good range of questions to ask which the client answer willingly. I suppose you never can really tell with interviews until you get the answer ...

The client said they would let me know by end of week... Friday. The agency said I was the favorite apparently, but this may just be standard prep talk I expect From what I understand there are 3 candiates, 33% prob.

Let you know how it goes!

Gez

Well done wiltshireguy, what kind of role is it?

Oh and welcome to CUK.
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Any more news ??
      Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Hope it's positive news anyway.

However, I've dozen a dozen interviews where I thought it all went really well, interesting work, liked the people - and then not got the gig. Or even worse, as happened recently, did the interview, got the gig, sorted the contract, then the end-client pulled the programme.

For your own mental health, always work on the assumption you haven't got it, then when the first cheque actually arrives you go out and celebrate
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Hope it's positive news anyway.

However, I've dozen a dozen interviews where I thought it all went really well, interesting work, liked the people - and then not got the gig. Or even worse, as happened recently, did the interview, got the gig, sorted the contract, then the end-client pulled the programme.

For your own mental health, always work on the assumption you haven't got it, then when the first cheque actually arrives you go out and celebrate
          Agreed. Pessimism in such situations can, paradoxically, lead to a wider feeling of optimism. Am I Carl Jung?

Comment

Still no news in terms of yes or no.

Agent called this morning to say they were chasing. They said if they don't hear anything by 1500 they'll chase again. Suppose that doesn't sound to good really.

G

Comment

Takes a while to learn the game but you really have to 'fire and forget' at each stage.
              You send CV in (some people advocate follow-up call to agent) after this - try to forget the application until you hear back, if ever.
              Agent says he is putting you forward (this may or may not be true) - say nice one and forget about it until you hear back.
              After interview - forget about it - if the client says yes, you will find out 1 sec after that call ends (agent wants to make sure you are still up for it/not got another job etc etc).
              There is NO point in chasing the agent, if it's a no you should be very surprised to get a call, almost certainly you will hear nothing - some people shoot the messenger, get angry, argue blah blah - after a couple of these agents avoid giving bad news/start getting their calls screened etc.
              If you eventually track them down - forget the info they give you as to why you failed it is almost certainly b*llocks (most likely - "sorry, someone with a bit more experience got it"). They wont tell you they hated you (even if they know, most clients just say no and leave it there)
              If you can't get used to this, you will drive yourself mad waiting for calls that will never come. It's like a woman, if she stops contacting you/returning calls, take a hint, you are dumped.
              Also - got more than one job when I thought I had done a bad interview and missed a couple I thought I was a certainty for, I give up guessing and react to the call (if it comes)
              HTH

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                spot on! most frustrating part about the contract thing is going through the dance w/ the agents... best not to get your heart set on a particular role, just keep looking until someone says yes.

(and have had the same experience, the ones that i thought i'd bottled, i got, and the ones i was happy w/, didn't... and you'll never seem to get any good, clear feedback)

Comment

Working...
                X